I just happily installed Porteus 4.16.3 on a virtual HD on VirtualBox 6.1 and I'm currently trying to figure out how to activate shared folders between host and guest machines. I browsed the forum and elsewhere, but unfortunately none of the ways I found seem to work, including banging my head on the wall. I don't understand if I'm doing something wrong or what else. May someone help me please? Keep in mind I'm not a Linux expert.
Thank you very much!!
The most prominent steps I tried (summary):
1) VBoxGuestAdditions.iso --> virtual optical drive
2) run autorun.sh as root from Terminal (*); it says that kernel headers are not found; this is no surprise to me, since I know on other distros I'm expected to run something like
apt install build-essential
apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
but Porteus has usm insted of apt, therefore...
3) ...I try (and succeeded!) into getting usm updated, and updated its databases too
4) in usm, searching for "kernel headers" gives a couple of hits that don't seem related to Porteus and aren't in .xzm format (e.g. kernel-headers-4.4.227-x86-l.txz); besides, every time I run usm from command line, it gives this error:
find: `/tmp/xdg-runtime-guest/gvfs': Permission denied
so this seems like a dead end
5) in the forum someone said the kernel headers are to be found into 05-devel.xzm (?); I downloaded, copied into /mnt/sda1/porteus/modules/ and activated it but to no avail; another dead end
6) in the same folder where I downloaded 05-devel.xzm there is a promising VirtualBox-5.2.10-porteus-v4.0-x86_64-1prt.xzm; I downloaded, copied into /mnt/sda1/porteus/modules/, activated it and rebooted Porteus but to no avail: the module name appears in the xzm list at boot, but VirtualBox keeps on saying that Guest Additions aren't available...
here's a detailed account of autorun.sh output; the first time I runned it there was only the "kernel headers not found" error, but now there are other errors and warnings:
Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected, reason :
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
and then a text window opens:
Code: Select all
Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.1.10 Guest Additions for Linux........ VirtualBox Guest Additions installer Removing installed version 6.1.10 of VirtualBox Guest Additions... You may need to restart your guest system to finish removing guest drivers. Copying additional installer modules ... bzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out. Possible reason follows. bzip2: Broken pipe Input file = VBoxGuestAdditions-amd64.tar.bz2, output file = (stdout) bzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out. Possible reason follows. bzip2: Broken pipe Input file = VBoxGuestAdditions-amd64.tar.bz2, output file = (stdout) Installing additional modules ... VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting. VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules. This may take a while. VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run VirtualBox Guest Additions: /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version> VirtualBox Guest Additions: or VirtualBox Guest Additions: /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup all VirtualBox Guest Additions: Kernel headers not found for target kernel 4.16.3-porteus. Please install them and execute /sbin/rcvboxadd setup modprobe vboxguest failed The log file /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log may contain further information. Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules. This may take a while. To build modules for other installed kernels, run /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version> or /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup all Kernel headers not found for target kernel 4.16.3-porteus. Please install them and execute /sbin/rcvboxadd setup vboxadd-service.sh: Starting VirtualBox Guest Addition service. VirtualBox Additions module not loaded! Press Return to close this window...