Doubt: Portable x Installable (Changes?)

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Perfection
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware, Porteus

Doubt: Portable x Installable (Changes?)

Post#1 by Perfection » 02 Mar 2017, 17:38

First, I want to talk about my first impression and experience with Porteus v.3.2.2

1) Super fast. Either running on CD or installing to HD. Impressive! :Bravo:
It delivers what it promises! :good:

Now, I know it's not the system's fault, just an issue I forgot! :roll:
Porteus is a portable system. Then use that LiveCd file system and etc ... As a type of compression, or other extension of installed programs.
I know this because once I added programs to a LiveCD and for that I had to use a special method, different from downloading a slackware package on the internet and installing.

So I'd like to know if it's possible to install Porteus on the hard drive in the traditional way with the unzipped, separated programs, naturally. So I can download a package and install it in a natural way.

As I said earlier, my idea is to use Porteus as my Main S.O. And I would not want to have the job of preparing packages for installation on Porteus. I would just download and install, be they source code or packages .txz

If I'm talking nonsense here, I'm sorry, I'm new to Linux and I do not understand much, I'm still learning! :sorry:

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Re: Doubt: Portable x Installable (Changes?)

Post#2 by Blaze » 02 Mar 2017, 18:05

Hi Perfection.
Welcome on the board!
  • Boot up Porteus from USB or CD.
  • run "Porteus Installer" from a Start menu of your DE.
  • enter password toor from a root account
  • open "Partition manager" via button with this label
  • unmount and format partition of your hard drive to ext4
  • mount this partition of hard drive with ext4 file system
  • close "Partition manager" and choose this ext4 partition of hard drive
  • click "Next" button
  • select these items
    • I understand and accept the warning above
    • Install bootloader
  • enter ok and press "Enter" button on your keyboard
  • done!
For installing apps use USM

Code: Select all

su
toor
usm -u usm
usm -u all
usm -g name-of-package
BTW, you can convert deb and rpm files to xzm modules via right click button of mouse and of course compile source to txz or xzm.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#3 by Bogomips » 02 Mar 2017, 18:08

Welcome to Porteus. Like a lot of us it is difficult to understand the concept of Porteus when you first use it. There is a steep learning curve. So give it time. Try to do everything you wish to do in way of computing, using the recommended setup. Then as you try to do more and more difficult things, you will gain an insight into the workings of Porteus. ;)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 02 Mar 2017, 23:17

Perfection wrote:So I can download a package and install it in a natural way.
The standard install of packages in the Porteus world is to download the desired package using Porteus's USM app and store it as an XZM module in the Porteus modules folder. Without a doubt the easiest way to add packages to an OS ever!! :)

Another nice feature of Porteus, it has a friendly forum for support of questions and help with problems. :good:
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 03 Mar 2017, 00:32

So I'd like to know if it's possible to install Porteus on the hard drive in the traditional way with the unzipped, separated programs, naturally. So I can download a package and install it in a natural way.
This is certainly possible and you can then just use slackware packages and install them as normal, however, if this is your goal I would look into alienbob's live slackware (or the regular slackware) since it would no longer be Porteus after you unpack the modules.

Follow Blaze's suggestion above to install Porteus to your hard drive but keep the module format. I use Porteus as my main OS using this system.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.