LAN adapter is not eth0, but rather p4p1 [solved]

Post bug reports related to either the kiosk ISO or the kiosk wizard here.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
claytorj
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk 4.2.0

LAN adapter is not eth0, but rather p4p1 [solved]

Post#1 by claytorj » 07 Feb 2017, 15:33

Trying to install Porteus Kiosk 4.2.0 for the first time, but unable to get the network going on DHCP so cannot complete the install.

I believe the reason why I am unable to complete the install wizard is because the wired adapter is not at eth0. If I install Ubuntu linux on the same machine and run

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep eth
I get

Code: Select all

systemd-udevd[119]: renamed network interface eth0 to p4p1
Further, in linux, if I edit /etc/network/interfaces and replace eth0 with p4p1 then I am able to get the card working. But in the Porteus Kiosk Install Wizard I cannot see any option to drop to shell or specify a different interface name.

Kind of stuck here. Any suggestions?
Last edited by claytorj on 07 Feb 2017, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: LAN adapter is not eth0, but rather p4p1

Post#2 by fanthom » 07 Feb 2017, 16:26

Hello claytorj,

Please select 'manual network configuration' in the wizard and check if interface name was auto discovered.

1) If yes then your firewall must be blocking an access to porteus-kiosk.org and thats why installation cant proceed.

2) If not then LAN adapter driver must be missing in the kiosk kernel. In this case please do as follows:
a) boot Ubuntu live CD
b) download and run this script: http://porteus-kiosk.org/public/files/debug.sh
here is the command: 'sudo sh debug.sh'
c) send generated report to support@porteus-kiosk.org

Thank you.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

claytorj
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Kiosk 4.2.0

Re: LAN adapter is not eth0, but rather p4p1 [solved]

Post#3 by claytorj » 07 Feb 2017, 19:04

fanthom, thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I was sure I exhausted the options in the 'manual network configuration', however upon revisiting the options I was able to get it working with a static IP on eth0 adapter, so I have no idea why DHCP did not work. Marked as solved. Thanks!