How to create a symbolic link to a full path?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

How to create a symbolic link to a full path?

Post#1 by fulalas » 20 Nov 2016, 20:28

If you create a symbolic link from let's say /mnt/unit1/test_folder and put it on /home/guest/Desktop then if you double click this symlink you won't get the full path (/mnt/unit1/test) but /home/guest/Desktop/test_folder. How to avoid this?
Last edited by fulalas on 20 Nov 2016, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: How to create a symbolic link to a full path?

Post#2 by Bogomips » 20 Nov 2016, 20:36

Please provide a code example. Have experienced problems in that direction, but resolved them. At the moment don't know exactly what you mean. :unknown:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#3 by fulalas » 20 Nov 2016, 20:47

Sorry. Let's try another way. :)

Firstly, I'm not exactly sure if this is a XFCE specific behavior, but try to create a folder shortcut (symlink) using the GUI and put it inside Desktop. If you execute (double click) this shortcut you'll notice that you get /home/guest/Desktop/test_folder instead of the full path /mnt/unit1/test_folder. In other words: symlinks change according to where they're. But I want them to be static pointing always to the full path of the destination.

Is it better explained now? :D

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 21 Nov 2016, 02:24

Perhaps you are seeing the representation of the path in the file browsers address bar? For example, if you have created the symlink /home/guest/Desktop/test_folder, then navigate there in your file browser and create another file called tester, you can then open a console and check that the actual path is indeed in /mnt/unit1/test_folder/tester
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#5 by tome » 21 Nov 2016, 10:57

I use spacefm file manager (easy to replace Thunar) and it has right click menu Go -> Real Path - I added key shortcut to it also. You can add also action to your Thunar:

Code: Select all

Thunar `realpath %F`
but directory will be opened in new window.
No intelligence, no life and no information can exist without prior intelligence, life or information (in place where things change and time is running).

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#6 by fulalas » 22 Nov 2016, 01:42

tome wrote:

Code: Select all

Thunar `realpath %F`
but directory will be opened in new window.
Yeah, it works, but I don't know how to change folder shortcuts association to use this command by default.

Thanks