Proxx Repository

Post links to your 32-bit module repos here. Repo maintainers are responsible for resolving any issues caused by their xzm's.
Proxx
White ninja
White ninja

Proxx Repository

Post#1 by Proxx » 12 May 2011, 12:16

Hi all,

i am pretty new to porteus. i have played around for ages with slax but never ever heard of this excellent distro until it popped up on DistrWatch a few day's ago.
faster and more actively developed than slax. so this is better sooted for the year 2011 than slax :D

i have played around with some tools and stuff. created a few modules and wanted to share them.
maybe some of the hardcore dudes around here can give me some tips and advise. i did found my way around but the documentation is still a bit poor.

Keep up the good work guy's

Current files:
http://repo.proxx.nl

i have removed all the old files and recompiled new ones. the lzm files are still on my other pc. i wil upload them when im on that one.
now 2 dirs are online LZM for the 0.9 porteus version and XZM for the 1.0 testing iso
Last edited by Proxx on 14 May 2011, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Proxx Repository

Post#2 by Ahau » 12 May 2011, 14:33

Thanks, Proxx!! Nice work, and welcome to Porteus!

Wow, yeah, I think you've got a lot of stuff in with gparted that doesn't need to be there. kdelibs-4 especially...I think you got a binary that was compiled against kde4 instead of kde3. Webkit, with all its' deps, is odd as well --maybe it got picked up in a recursive dependency tree.

You might try bringing in a slax module for gparted and converting that to a porteus lzm, or try to build the module off an older version of gparted (or compile it from source and only bring in the minimum deps for the compile). Falcony's FIDOSlax repo has gparted 0.4.3 -- http://code.google.com/p/fidoslax/downl ... &q=gparted

Also, what documentation in particular were you looking for and didn't find, or found and wasn't as useful as it could have been? We're trying to improve our documentation as we approach the release of Version 1.0, and I'd like your feedback. Feel free to PM me or post elsewhere on the forum, as it doesn't really pertain to your thread.

Thanks!!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Proxx
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by Proxx » 12 May 2011, 15:07

i used slacky and accepted to download all dependencies of all stuff so thats why all the crap is there.
not a really good idea to do in the future :P

the documentation is pretty good for the beginner stuff like installing on usb and stuff.
but the more advanced stuff can be hard to find or not find able at all on the website.

the most stuff are at the forums but sometimes messy and stuff. no offence!

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#4 by Ahau » 12 May 2011, 15:50

Most of the time, slackyd works pretty well and doesn't download too much crap -- this will probably be improved in V 1.0, as it is based on a stable slackware release, and V09 (build on slackware-current) is now several months old. Keep in mind that there are a few packages with unresolved deps in the standard porteus .iso. They've been left out because they're not needed and they are big (fanthom and/or brokenman can correct me if I'm wrong). To find those packages, boot without any modules but those in /porteus/base, and run 'slackyd -u' and 'slackyd -d'. The -d switch will check your install for missing dependencies, and it will come up with three or four. Write those down, and then you'll know for the future that you don't need them unless the package you're installing specifically calls for them.

No offense taken about the documentation-- I know we have a lot of work to do!

Admittedly, the forum's search function is not great. If I'm looking for something, I usually go to google and search like this:

slackyd create module site:porteus.org

That searches for the keywords, only within our site. It will pull from the docs on the main site as well as the forum. Hopefully that helps :)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Proxx
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by Proxx » 13 May 2011, 07:02

i know that you guys are working hard to make the Site and forum as complete as possible.
and the porteus site and forum are pretty new so no reason to complain about it.