There is actually a new version of Flash: 220.127.116.115
Easy manual fix with Terminal command. I tried updating the LXDE version I have from 3.0 to 3.1 from settings centre as you guys were talking about but it says it's already updated, and USM is the same story, right? and here I am, a sitting ducking in a frozen pond in the middle of freezing ducking December. Firefox ain't working, the brownies are on fire, and the smoke alarm is going off with Barney barking up all over the damn place.
Ok so here's what I did:
-After checking in on this forum post and failing to solve the problem, I googled "Porteus update flash player"
- I found a post back in '11 by "ariszlo" from Hungary on Porteus forums and he wrote how to manually update flash on porteus using:
tar -C /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins -xzf Downloads/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz (in LXTerminal)
- I tried doing that and realized the version of mine was 11 so I changed the number to 11, and it didn't work: unrecoverable error
- Then I realized that it was the name of the package I just downloaded I had to type in after Downloads/
tar -C /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins -xzf Downloads/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz
- Tried it again, it runs and says error ERROR nuclear meltdown! Directory not found, unrecoverable error!
- I walk away from the problem for about half an hour cause I've never programmed before on a Linux OS and messing around with the terminal made me think.
- Then I get an idea since I was always a Windows boy using Windex a lot to clean up all the grime it accumulated over the years. I try looking for some sort of Program Files folder in Porteus with no results. I think to myself "man there has got to be some way I can see where the flash player is installed."
-So I turn on Firefox and hit the little blue question mark button on the bottom in the menu, where I sometimes manually check for updates. I see a "Troubleshooting Information" button and I click, after that I look at the info spreadsheet and see what seems to me as the golden ticket to the wonka factory. There is a plugin button(about:plugins) there, sitting just for me to stab at it and I do. BOOM! I find the directory for flash player sitting right in the smack dab middle of the screen:
- Now I realize that I have the directory and type it in on LXTerminal:
tar -C /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins -xzf Downloads/install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64.tar.gz
-I get an error that root permission is required, so I go from my guest to my root account, since I'm running Porteus from a USB schtick.
- I type in that command again in root, and it doesn't say anything, so I'm wondering whether it worked. I go on Firefox, and sure enough it says in plugins that I have the .425 new version. CHA CHING! I also saw that the old version was not showing up in the about:plugins screen anymore so I guess the new version either overwrote the old flash or just deleted it. I couldn't believe I solved something like this, it feels awesome!
Anyways, cheers everybody and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!
P.S. The easiest way to get the new flash package is to go to addons in Firefox, then to plugins, and click the little link right above the plugin list, that says "Check to see if your plugins are up to date," after that it'll say something that the old version you have is up to date which is a damn lie, so click the "up to date" button right under the action title, and it should take you to the correct download page. Choose the .tar.gz version under the sub-menu for "other Linux" which is basically compatible with Porteus. After that just try the method described above.