XBMC Gotham 13.1 for Porteus 3 - 32Bit - Test Build

Here is a place for your projects which are not officially supported by the Porteus Team. For example: your own kernel patched with extra features; desktops not included in the standard ISO like Gnome; base modules that are different than the standard ISO, etc...
pumbaa2
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware 13.37

XBMC Gotham 13.1 for Porteus 3 - 32Bit - Test Build

Post#1 by pumbaa2 » 05 Jun 2014, 05:06

I considered building this for 64 Bit Porteus but I had the 32 bit version on my network. So now that I have Porteus setup as Boot from Network and it's configured with XBMC, this makes it ideal to run on any diskless machine while using your server to host the music and video files. The 32 bit version will be the most compatible with any x86 hardware you choose to toss at it. XBMC really doesn't need all the extra memory, etc as a client. This is the minimum number of modules required to actually build and use XBMC. No doubt there are many modules that could be added to get a more complete build of XBMC but this is a good start point. I included the XBMC Source file as given to me by the GIT Repo in ZIP format (Git Repo default download format). Some of the packages could be updated a little. Most of them are Slackware 14 Packages but a few are packages I already had compiled from Slackware 13.37. The only package I couldn't find myself was libmicrohttpd which I built from source directly in Porteus.

Anyhow, here is the download link:
http://raylinenetworks.no-ip.org/XBMC/
Access to this page is hosted directly on my Internet Connection. Please download the packages 1 or 2 at a time. My firewall script is pretty aggressive and has no issues setting temp bans on IP's that hammer the web server or mess with Ports that shouldn't be probed. Please tread lightly...

Note: There is a shortcut to XBMC for KDE included with the package. So if you have the KDE Module for Porteus, you can find XBMC under Multimedia.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: XBMC Gotham 13.1 for Porteus 3 - 32Bit - Test Build

Post#2 by fanthom » 05 Jun 2014, 07:13

hi pumbaa2,

my experience tells me that you would have more testers if you could create 'ready to go' Porteus XBMC ISO which could be tested in virtual machine.
people like things made simple.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

pumbaa2
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by pumbaa2 » 05 Jun 2014, 07:45

Interesting.... I could create 32 bit and 64 bit ISO's. I'd have to rebuild the packages for 64 bit but that doesn't take to much effort. Porteus comes with a ISO Build script. But if I''m going to do all that, I might as well go with a light weight Desktop Manager with XBMC on Auto startup. Let me grab my hot glue gun, I'll be back...

pumbaa2
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by pumbaa2 » 02 Jul 2014, 03:58

[guest_188] : Hi pumbaa2,
[guest_188] : I read about you interest in make a porteus xbmc
[guest_188] : I was trying to make a xbmc distro using vlc and no video acceleration to make it usable on low specs pc
[guest_188] : do you think with kiosk porteus would be done?
pumbaa2 : Posted reply on forum.porteus.org
Users on my network need to keep Porteus Related Questions on the Porteus Forums. My phpBB Forums and Shoutbox are used for local WIFI Access and related software written directly by me. This also allows the Porteus community to contribute to the conversation. Moving forward...

I'm working on a 64bit build of XBMC currently. With the holiday's coming, etc, I've been a touch busy doing other things. I've never ran Porteus Kiosk edition but using the right skins in XBMC would make the program useful on a touch screen Kiosk display. But now that I know that people are interested in using XBMC with the Kiosk edition, I'll try to make the modules compatible with both regular Porteus and Kiosk edition.

If you want to use a low spec pc, I still recommend using a higher end graphics card such as a GForce 8500GT or higher, as those video cards do support hardware decoding and can be found on Amazon cheaply ($9.99 refurb, $35.00 NEW). All AGP Series NVidia Cards DO NOT SUPPORT VDPAU.. The 8500GT also has S-Video output, VGA and DVI (which can be adapted to HDMI (no audio)). The card is also silent (no fan cooler, just a large heatsink). The NVidia 8400GS has native HDMI (with audio) if you are looking to connect it to a HDTV and is the same price (MSI's version also comes fanless with a large heatsink and can be used on a half-height case which is nice when making a HTPC). If you are going to disable hardware acceleration, you will need more CPU Power (3.2Ghz to handle software decode at 1080p, 2.4Ghz for 720p (Based on Socket 775 Intel CPU with 512MB Memory or higher in Linux)). Cheap Board/CPU with higher end graphics card is CHEAPER than a high end board/chip with a video card that can only be used with software decode. With hardware decode, you can get away with a AMD 1.6Ghz Athlon XP (AM2 Socket) on a board that supports PCI Express and decode 1080p using a 8500GT NVidia Card without a single glitch. Trust me, been there, done that with every one of these hardware combinations. In general, hardware decode is smoother than software decode as the OS Scheduler can get in the way of the software decoder causing glitching (especially in Windows).

arslan1
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: SlaxSlax

Post#5 by arslan1 » 02 Jan 2015, 05:00

my experience tells me that you would have more testers if you could create 'ready to go' Porteus XBMC ISO which could be tested in virtual machine.
people like things made simple

hashmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Arslan1

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#6 by beny » 02 Jan 2015, 15:02

hi, if you want something like that you tell try openelec, porteus xbmc iso do not exist and isn't build from porteus crew.