Finally - here it is!
- new kernel 2.6.38-rc4 with xz compression for: kernel, initrd (which is named now initrd.xz - bare in mind) and most exciting: squashfs
- kernel config: all nls compiled as (*) and not (M) - no point for having one copy in initrd and second in 000-kernel; added rt2800usb driver (goyfilm request), enabled 'autogroup scheduler' (famous 200~ lines patch which does wonders), and more...
- userland bumped to slackware-current from 1st of Feb 2011 - latest available at the moment
- latest LXDE from git
- as usual: credits goes to ponce
- new official package format: xzm
. all tools/scripts are rewritten for this purpose (dir2lzm is replaced by dir2xzm, txz2lzm -> txz2xzm, etc).
The only 'lzm' tool which exist in the system is a 'lzm2xzm'. please use it to convert your modules from lzm (lzma) to xzm (lzma2) as lzm's are not supported anymore by the kernel and system in general.
- as per latest poll result: guest account is enabled by default
. during boot time you will be prompted for changing passwords ( or you can just press enter to continue with default ones for the current session).
Once you change your passwords then please make sure to store updated /etc/shadow
file either in /porteus/rootcopy or in a separated module. I can add another function to rc.M which will do it on user request automatically.
It may be not very safe to keep your passwords in /rootcopy when you are using Porteus on a pendrive/CD thst's why you can use 'Porteus-Encryptor' tool to encrypt whole /porteus folder. All Porteus specific tools tools have 'switch to root' function so you will be prompted for root password when it's necessary ie. activation/deactivation of modules, installation of tgz/txz packages, using 'mloop' and other utilities. If you want to activate multiple modules through dolphin
then it's better to run this package manager in a 'super user' mode - available through Kmenu/Lxde menu. In this case you wont have to type root's password for every action which requires super user privileges.
To get back old (slax, slax-remix) behavior you need to use 'toroot' chetcode which skips 'password check' function and brings you straight to the root desktop
- due to bugs in latest kernel/aufs I have removed possibility of saving changes on FAT/NTFS completely
. During boot time you will be asked for creation of save.dat container which should be used for storing of changes. if you refuse do it - 'always fresh' mode will be forced by linuxrc at every boot.
BTW - even if aufs will be fixed in the future, i'm not going to bring back 'FAT/NTFS changes' functionality. issues caused by posixovl should be over now.
- new cheatcode: 'extramod='
. This parameter let you load modules stored in a folder different one than original /porteus/base /porteus/modules and /porteus/optional. From now on modules can be placed on different partition or even different media. Full path is not required, although recommended. more info - as usual, in /porteus/cheatcodes.txt
- 'from_iso=' cheatcode so wont require full path now. be aware that you still can't use it together with 'from_dev=' parameter. provide a full path to 'from_iso=' parameter instead.
- new tools
: 'Porteus-Encryptor' and 'Magic Folders' (thanks to Falcony). run them to find more about their functionality.
- packages added
: xhost, librsvg, libcdio, libcddb, polkit related and few more
- also added bluetooth stack
: bluez, bluez-firmware, bluedevil, libbluedevil, obexd, obex-data-server, obexftp, openobex
- despite of new packages added to default ISO, it's size is size reduced by 8 MB
. xz compression with '-Xbcj'
optimization does great job!
- booting speed
(and overall desktop responsiveness) raised up to 20%. thanks to xz compression again.
- many small linuxrc fixes - im really happy with this script now
- busybox and all utilities bumped to latest version (including ntfs-3g driver) inside initrd.xz
- fixed nouveau issue by removing modesetting driver. if you spot any 3D apps working improperly - let me know. (credits: Ahau)
- new Kmenu and xzm icons (credits: Blaze)
- fixed LXDE associations by adding 'update-desktop-detabase' function to rc.M and removing kfmclient package (thanks to Ahau)
- unmuted 'speaker' setting in rc.alsa (i'm getting bored: again Ahau)
- added 'md5sum' check function to 'bootinst.sh' and 'liloinst.sh' script installers (thanks to burninbush for suggestion). not available to Windows users unfortunately.
- last slax references are gone: slaxsave.dat removed completely (we have linuxrc to create .dat files on the fly during boot time), mkslaxsave is also not needed anymore, rc.slax merged with rc.M. If you still spot anything slax, slax-remix related - please let me know before Porteus-v1.0 FINAL
- recompiled mplayer and qmmp against libcdio and libcddb which gives us audio CD support. K3b can encode mp3/ogg files from audio tracks.
- new LXDE wallpaper and LXDE icon set - i'm sure you will love it
- new KDE wallpaper (dont really like it so if you have any good 'spring one', let me know)
- new kdm theme (brokenman rocks!). If you want to switch from root to guest or from kde to lxde just logout from current desktop and you will have possibility to change your environment as 'auto relogin' is disabled.
- new color scheme for /etc/issue (you will see it after booting to text mode)
- added update_module script. more info: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=252
- updated squashfs-tools: added 'xz' compression. when you use 'mksquashfs' utility directly then you can use '-Xbcj x86' optimization
to get smaller module size with the same blocksize
- .bashrc has aliases for color schemes (brokenman job again) and for guest su='su -' which will let you to login to root account with full environment variables (ie you can start dolphin while being logged to GUI as guest)
- almost all scripts written by me were updated with proper english grammar by Ahau. many thanks for that
Countless number of other small changes which i simply dont remember - sorry
Porteus-v1.0_alpha KNOWN BUGS SECTION:
- 'rt2860sta' driver is causing random kernel hangups during boot time with 2.6.38-rc* kernels. More info above. Solution as per today: blacklisting (done by default).
- taskbar in KDE-4.6.0 doesn't resize like it did in 4.5.x series. known upstream bug:
hopefully will be resolved in KDE-4.6.1 or later.
Soluton as per today: resize your taskbar manually and then store /home/guest/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and /home/guest/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc in /porteus/rootcopy directory.
- ndiswrapped doesn't compile with 2.6.38-rc* kernels yet.
I'm really happy with this release as in last 6 weeks we have done tremendous job with getting all these features in.
plese remember that it's still an early alpha (with rc* kernel) so there is probably a huge room for improvements.
Let us know about things which need to be fixed or implemented before Porteus-v1.0 FINAL which should be released in next 6 weeks. Earlier is better
As usual: before you make a bug report - please try to recreate it in always fresh mode with /porteus/base modules only.
Pay attention to kernel oopses and in case of being affected please geve us the info about your hardware. please use 'psinfo' script for this purpose.
Link to Porteus-v1.0_alpha repo:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/testing/ ... 1.0_alpha/
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.