Firefox plugin issues

Here you can post about the issues related to modifications performed manually (not through the kiosk wizard). Example: swapped kernel, added 3rd party modules or files.
Please describe in detail what has been changed and hopefully other kiosk user will be able to help.
Porteus team wont resolve bugs posted in this category as we support only modifications made by the kiosk wizard.
Forum rules
Porteus Kiosk section of the forum is unmaintained now. Its kept in a 'read only' mode for archival purposes.
Please use the kiosk contact page for directing your queries: https://porteus-kiosk.org/contact.html
peem
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Fedora

Firefox plugin issues

Post#1 by peem » 01 Oct 2013, 08:18

Hi

I'm trying to make a KIOSK iso with additional plugin in firefox, namely Citrix Receiver.

It works fine in Desktop edition, module can be activated and works in browser.

However, Kiosk edition fails to start firefox when I add the module.

Tried to debug it by adding modified inittab and 10-xorg.conf in rootcopy, to no luck. And it is a bit strange : rootcopy works, as I can see custom wallpaper and can switch to console, but I can't log in using set root password. It works fine when I build ISO without module on it using same files.

Any ideas what may be wrong with the module and how to make it more accessible for debugging ?

UPDATE

Managed to gain access to the root account by removing password totally in rootcopy/etc/shadow file.

Found out what was the problem with Firefox, basically the module contained folder /usr/lib/firefox-18.0 and a /usr/lib/firefox symlink to it , while kiosk runs Firefox 21.0.

Still having problem with the plugin, plugins dir in profile gets overwritten by 003-settings.xzm I think.
I don't really want a module that needs modifications in settings just to work.

Working on it, any ideas appreciated.

UPDATE 2

Can't seem to get the plugin working in kiosk.

I have a module that puts binary files into /opt/ then added a symlink from /home/guest/.mozilla/firefox/c3pp43bg.default/plugins/npica.so to actual so file in /opt.
I can see that all being in place for kiosk, and module is working fine in desktop.
Yet, firefox fails to notice plugin and display it in about:plugins.

I've tried to put symlink as well as the actual file in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.

:wall:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Firefox plugin issues

Post#2 by brokenman » 01 Oct 2013, 12:45

Have you tried unpacking the 003 module and placing the addons in there?
Have you tried unpacking the existing firefox module and placing the addons in there? (Be sure to edit the path to concur with the existing firefox path).
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

peem
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Fedora

Re: Firefox plugin issues

Post#3 by peem » 01 Oct 2013, 13:23

Thanks for the response.

By "addon", you mean the symlink and/or binary .so file that firefox should use ?

I've tried adding symlink /home/guest/.mozilla/firefox/c3pp43bg.default/plugins/npica.so to the 003 module and tried it fir the actual file in 003 module, no luck so far.

I will try firefox module now, but I'm not sure if that this will make difference. Basically, any changes to /home/guest directory changes that would be in 002-firefox are wiped out by 003-settings, right ? That means I need to put it in /usr/lib/mozilla or /usr/lib/firefox ?

I'll try that in a few minutes.

UPDATE

Placing symlink in /usr/lib/firefox-21.0/plugins/ did not work.
Placing the binary .so file in there /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ allowed plugin to be seen (about:plugins) but it does not work.

Any setting regarding firefox following symlinks that are locked down on kiosk ?

Regards