WARNING: READ THE FAQ BEFORE ASKING!
http://www.porteus.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 7336add39c
Please remember - less time which i spent on answering questions which are already answered in this FAQ means more time for adding new features to Porteus!
Just to mention few features of this build:
- kernel 2.6.37 x86_64 (without ck-patches as per this release, had some troubles with it)
- latest LXDE compiled by Ponce
- gcc-4.5.1 and whole userland bumped to slackware-current from 30th of November 2010
- new implementation of Linux Live Script (please read /porteus/cheatcodes.txt as some cheatcodes were added/changed/removed)
Many other small changes:
- all scripts and docs updated with new name - Porteus. please help us with finding typos and still exisiting, unnecessary references to old name: slax-remix
- removed sq4 suffix so all porteus tools will produce .lzm modules instead of .sq4.lzm
- following boot parameters: 'rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=6666' are now hardcoded into kernel and no longer required in bootloader config (bootloader can still override it when necessary, example: increasing initrd size)
- jfs is compiled as (M) - i don't think that anyone is really using it, also removed fsck function for this fs from linuxrc
- added 'from_iso=' cheatcode to linuxrc and updated /porteus/cheatcodes.txt file:
... This cheatcode can be used to boot from Porteus ISO image directly.
Full path to ISO is required.
WARNING: You can't use it together with 'from_dev=' parameter.
- added support for multiple swap partitions to linuxrc (they all have the same priority so when placed on different drives will work as RAID 0!)
- updated 'fault' message (inside initrd) with warning about new cheatcodes
- integrated PLOP boot manager with syslinux
- new colour scheme for porteus.cfg
- new syslinux splash screen
- added back/restore of MBR to bootinst scripts
- removed /porteus/tools content except WIN folder (not necessary files were there)
- added 'mkswapfile' Q/A to the FAQ
- changed /etc/rc.d/rc.6 script as swap files needs to be deactivated before unmounting local filesystems
- added 'one extra loop' function to rc.slax so there will be always one free
- /root/.bash-profile checks for lxterminal first so all Porteus scripts are launched in it (if available)
- removed slaxdrive
- updated LST with new downloading paths (separated from 32/64 bits)
- merged WPA and WPA2 in pns-tool (old sns-tool), added info about incompatible drivers for ad-hoc mode.
- fixed 'LXDE locale' bug in /usr/bin/xdm
- updated xvba package
- added attica-4.5.5 package to kde-4 (downloading stuff from kde-look.org is possible now directly through System Settings menu)
NOT MERGED YET (to be done in Porteus 1.0 release):
- recompile qmmp against libcdio and libcddb (libs added to default build) to add possibility of playing audio CD
- k3b needs libcdio for ripping audio (as per above - added to default build)
- add bluetooth stack
64bit Porteus comes with some regressions comparing to 32bit edition:
- pxe boot is rewritten for 64bit environment and has limited features - only lzm's placed in /porteus/base folder are mounted on the client side.
- 64bit /sbin/init when compiled statically gives segfaults (known issue also for slackware guys), that's why i had to use 32bit one. you wont see any difference anyway.
Hope you will enjoy playing with Porteus
Posted after 5 hours 9 minutes 30 seconds:
64bit edition is temporarily removed from the server - please have a look on this bug report:
all sorted now and new ISO is released:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/current/ ... x86_64.iso
Non release banter
1 post • Page 1 of 1