Raspberry Pi (Model B)

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
MasterSplinter
White ninja
White ninja

Raspberry Pi (Model B)

Post#1 by MasterSplinter » 14 Jun 2012, 23:23

Hi Guys,

I've got sucked into the Raspberry Pi (Model B) fad... I've got a case, accessories, distros, and the anticipated unit on order (since early March -- set to arrive in a few days).

There is only a small amount of distros out there for it atm... It would be lovely to see Porteus on-board while the topic is hot and hyped up.

Please check it out and consider a Porteus flavor.

-MS

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Re: Raspberry Pi (Model B)

Post#2 by beny » 14 Jun 2012, 23:37

hi MasterSplinter, i think, Ahau have started to play with arm architecture in a portable device, the base was armedslack.

MasterSplinter
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by MasterSplinter » 15 Jun 2012, 18:04

Awesome :)

Ahau, have you made an order for a Pi yet?

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#4 by beny » 15 Jun 2012, 19:15

nope, he have a tablet with arm cpu inside, i think

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#5 by Hamza » 15 Jun 2012, 19:17

@beny, you are right!
NjVFQzY2Rg==

MasterSplinter
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by MasterSplinter » 15 Jun 2012, 19:27

I could loan Ahau mine, if he thinks it is worth looking into.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#7 by beny » 15 Jun 2012, 19:39

Ahau it is a bit of time that is out of forum.better i think is to wait that he is ready to stay with us.

MasterSplinter
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by MasterSplinter » 15 Jun 2012, 19:55

Alright :)

If the Pi becomes of interest for development, I would like to play too :)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#9 by Ahau » 18 Jun 2012, 15:31

Hi MasterSplinter,

You could try my modules here: http://code.google.com/p/porteus-arm/downloads/list, but you will need your own kernel (every arm make/model needs its own kernel) and bootloader. My advice would be to start with an existing kernel source/config for the pi, add the aufs patch, and go from there, and get an emulator (probably qemu if you can find a pi virtual machine for it) to test in the early phases.

I put a lot of effort into getting porteus on my machine (an acer iconia a500), but wasn't able to get it quite to the point of being truly useable -- proprietary graphics drivers, flash, and some other things slowed me down, and I got so deep in the weeds that I had to take a break in order to regain my bearings :D I'm hoping some updates to armedslack current in the near future (a new xorg server, primarily) will help work these problems out. --oh, snap! armedslack got a new xorg server on Friday! maybe I'll find some time to update after Porteus 1.2 final comes out :)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

justwantin
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#10 by justwantin » 20 Jun 2012, 12:05

I've got sucked into the Raspberry Pi (Model B) fad... I've got a case, accessories, distros, and the anticipated unit on order (since early March -- set to arrive in a few days).
Be very careful about what you plug into your Pi. I fried mine either using a dodgy soniq powered usb hub and/or plugging the hdmi cable into a monitor while Pi was booting up (small arc between connectors). The next one will get much more respect.

I had ordered from both RS and E14 on 29/02 and the second one is due next week. I'm really looking forward to it as I found armed slack topped both debian and arch installs. Xfce ran almost as good as Ahau's Xfce on my netbook running Porteus.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#11 by Rava » 03 Feb 2013, 10:59

justwantin wrote:I fried mine [...]plugging the hdmi cable into a monitor while Pi was booting up (small arc between connectors).
As in: it was plugged in the whole time, or as in: while booting you plugged in the hdmi?

It needs some kind of monitor for working anyway, so the first option should never fry it, yes?
Cheers!
Yours Rava