glibc headers and compatibility

For discussions about programming and projects not necessarily associated with Porteus.
supertabs
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus-4.0-x86_64

Post#1 by supertabs » 01 Jul 2021, 12:36

My question is,

Will a glibc header version 2.33 compatible with the older libc.so.6? or will my program fail when Iink with my old libc.so.6 because of the new glibc header? :%) :fool:

• I am planning to copy the glibc headers version 2.33 for my dev modules.
  • Will it be ok? :shock:
  • What will be the differences? :crazy:
Those who win the race are those who are slow and steady. :happy62:

supertabs
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#2 by supertabs » 01 Jul 2021, 12:46

Just another question to add, specifically I want the porteus developers here to answer me :D :) , where did you get the glibc headers bundled inside the 05-devel.xzm?

If it is okay with you my dear porteus developers, can you somewhat share it to me how you do the process of creating 05-devel.xzm, such as the list of the libraries, headers, and other files, and how you compile them (do you use chroot, or other techniques?) ???

supertabs
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by supertabs » 01 Jul 2021, 12:48

I am planning to share something here in this community, but I am still unsure if my contribution will be a benefit or a disaster. :o

babam
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0rc3 Xfce K6.1.1

Post#4 by babam » 01 Jul 2021, 15:09

supertabs wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 12:48
I am planning to share something here in this community, but I am still unsure if my contribution will be a benefit or a disaster. :o
Why not
Disaster? are you kidding.
Sorry, my English is bad.

supertabs
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by supertabs » 01 Jul 2021, 15:26

babam wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 15:09
supertabs wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 12:48
Why not
Disaster? are you kidding.
Maybe, :D :lol:

My porteus was screwed recently after compiling glibc and replacing libc.so.6 directly. I cannot guarantee that it will be useful if I share it to others.

My plan is to share my newly compile glibc, but I am not sure if will work with other, so I will just use the new glibc headers while keeping the old libc.so.6?

@babam, will that be ok? :Search:

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#6 by ncmprhnsbl » 01 Jul 2021, 23:51

when building the base modules of porteus, we mostly use slackware packages(a few are compiled) that contain the headers(in /usr/include/*)
in the build process, these headers are exported to a tempory location(along with locale and man pages), so that 001,002,003 don't contain these.
later when 05-devel is built, as well as the dev packages(make etc..) those exported headers are imported back into it.
afaiui, glibc is a bit special, it's pretty much at the base of the dependency tree, sitting between the kernel and everything else..
usually, when glibc is updated in slackware(or most other distros), a mass rebuild of the entire repo is triggered.. but i think there's some backward compatibility built into glibc libs?

now, whether mixing the newer headers with an older lib would be be workable, i don't know, but am doubtful..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44