Win32 in Porteus?

For discussions about programming and projects not necessarily associated with Porteus.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Win32 in Porteus?

Post#1 by wread » 24 May 2014, 21:43

@all

Years ago, I made some Windows applications in Win32 using the API of mingw.

Now, the Mingw sources are GPL; these sources can be compiled in linux, or not? This results in a "Lingw" compiler!

If so, the Win32 sources could be then compiled with this Lingw and the executable run in Linux.... :Yahoo!:

I will google for that to see if already done.

RFC
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Win32 in Porteus?

Post#2 by brokenman » 25 May 2014, 01:59

Sounds very intersting
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

lm8
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: FreeBSD, Debian, Slackware

Re: Win32 in Porteus?

Post#3 by lm8 » 17 Jun 2015, 18:01

MinGW is basically gcc and related libraries with win32api and mingwrt. It uses Windows dlls such as msvcrt to supply the runtime. mingwrt supplements the runtime library but doesn't replace it. If you cross-compile with MinGW on Linux, you will produce Windows executables. They will run on Linux through Wine. The Win32 code is not Open Source and has not been ported to Linux. The win32api is just the headers and wrappers for Windows dlls. If you want to use the Win32 API on Linux, you can look into using winelib or nano-x's microwindows. I did investigate both at one point and it seemed like more trouble than it was worth to port an application to Linux. It's typically easier to rewrite the front end with a cross-platform GUI library.