Seeking GUI Disk untility software

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
ajaxStardust
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 5.12.14

Post#1 by ajaxStardust » 24 Sep 2021, 02:26

Greetings. I am new to Porteus and xzm. I am sure I will learn a lot here. Thanks for reading.

My primary question as a newbie is: where do I go to find available software that's supporting by the community? All of my web searches are listing results that bring me to this forum.

I'm writing this post from my Porteus system installed on a USB stick. Works amazingly well. That said, obviously I have successfully loaded a web browser module using the selection tool provided, yet some software is already installed as part of the system. Cool. I expect it is not as simple as I currently perceive.

I am looking for software to run on Porteus that will allow me to analyze hard drives (e.g. a windows drive that i want to wipe after i locate what I want to keep) which will show in some sort of GUI (e.g. WinDirStat or TreeSize for Windows, the Disk tool in Debian based systems) so I can more easily find specific things in an easy to manage graphical environment (e.g. large media files, software installers, ISO's, etc.)

Your reply is appreciated! Thank you.
Best I can advise you? Select quoted text. Right-click; search:
"Who is @ajaxStardust?"

ajaxStardust
White ninja
White ninja

Post#2 by ajaxStardust » 24 Sep 2021, 02:47

Reading through this forum, I learn that I can use USM.
I have no USM in my Menu.
I have typed

Code: Select all

sudo usm -u all
std out is "usm: command not found"

I am running the presisten version, which gives me the "guest" user and my files from previous sessions are saved.

Did it not install correctly? I don't understand why I wouldn't have USM if it is integral to the system per
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/9-modules.html

I installed porteus using an ISO burned to a CD-ROM. disconnected HDD's so the system would only look at and install on the USB stick. Super easy to install, but... maybe i did something wrong.

please advise. thank you!
"Who is @ajaxStardust?"

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#3 by ncmprhnsbl » 24 Sep 2021, 04:31

presuming that you are using version 5.0-RC3 ...
from the release announcement:
USM(package/module manager) remains left out, for now, either to be revamped or replaced.
reason being that it is currently broken in many ways.. and yes, the documentation on porteus.org is in need of updating..
porteus-5.0 is binary compatible with slackware(current and eventually 15.0) packages and has tools that can convert them (eg. txz2xzm)
there are various web based tools that can be used to find them eg. slakfinder.org or pkgs.org or packages.slackware.com (dependency resolution is manual)
ajaxStardust wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 02:26
I am looking for software to run on Porteus that will allow me to analyze hard drives
there is gparted included in the iso, which may or may not be of use to you (more to do with editing and formatting partitions than disk analysis)..
there's also this module that provides gnome disk utility: Gnome Disk Utility 3.38.0 which might be the "the Disk tool in Debian based systems" you mention..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 24 Sep 2021, 04:51

ajaxStardust your Distribution shows Porteus 5.12.14. Isn't that the current Porteus Kiosk release?
Ed

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 24 Sep 2021, 05:47

Ed_P wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 04:51
Distribution shows Porteus 5.12.14. Isn't that the current Porteus Kiosk release?
nah, kiosk version is 5.2 ... 5.12.14 would be the kernel of rc3..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

ajaxStardust
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by ajaxStardust » 24 Sep 2021, 08:10

[EDIT] Thanks for your replies!!

regarding the software manager which isn't in this version of Porteus, would you recommend I install an earlier release to better understand how to use it? If so, please advise. Currently it will be run on a Lenovo IdeaCentre K330B (8G RAM).

my installation info:

~$ cat /etc/os-release

NAME=Porteus
VERSION="5"
ID=slackware
VERSION_ID=5.0
PRETTY_NAME="Porteus 5.0"
ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:porteus:porteus_linux:5"
HOME_URL="http://www.porteus.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://forum.porteus.org/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://forum.porteus.org/"

[EDIT2] for understanding:
The reason i want to inspect other drives is because I am most likely going to need to reinstall Windows 10 on one of my HDD's. after the 2015 "upgrade" to Win 10, i did not like it and after very little use thereafter, I put this PC in storage in 2017 and didn't boot it back up until 09/01/2021. Apparently Win 10 did not like this behavior, as the update system is rather FUBAR as far as my setup is concerned.

i was thinking about this project. i'm probably going to have to do what is referred to as a Custom install of Win 10 to fix whatever is the issue that it won't update, which means it will basically rewrite the OS and "leave my personal files" (which i don't feel exactly comfortable about, but i digress... )

If I proceed with a "Reset" (assuming that's the same as a Custom install in that OS), the process will delete all installed apps.

If i could scan my folders and tee the output, i can always go back and reinstall whatever apps i want. but, i forget the commands! can someone help me to remember how to do that?
i recall using tee for things like that. i'll have to do some research, but for the way i think (and hoard chaos organize), to tee the directory structure might be a simple solution since i don't have an extra HDD at the moment.

thoughts?
"Who is @ajaxStardust?"

ajaxStardust
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by ajaxStardust » 24 Sep 2021, 08:26

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 04:31
porteus-5.0 is binary compatible with slackware(current and eventually 15.0) packages and has tools that can convert them (eg. txz2xzm)
there are various web based tools that can be used to find them eg. slakfinder.org or pkgs.org or packages.slackware.com (dependency resolution is manual)
Excellent! That is probably the info i'm looking for, if i can get the XZM files there? I would like to try Porteus with the USM for sure though. Right now i'm annoyed (and obsessed) w/ this Windows salvage thing...

Your help is greatly appreciated! thank you.

sadly, quite honestly, i have no idea how to approach this (trying to ensure that Win 10 doesn't destroy my stuff) successfully without spending money.
"Who is @ajaxStardust?"