Porteus 5.0

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
mccaber
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Proteus 5

Porteus 5.0

Post#1 by mccaber » 14 Sep 2021, 01:44

I have Porteus up and running. With no wifi. It's so hard to find a simple set of instructions to get the wifi working. Can someone please start me off. If I click the wifi in the top right of the screen it says device not ready (firmware missing).
Last edited by Ed_P on 14 Sep 2021, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected misspelled title name.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Portrush 5.0

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 14 Sep 2021, 02:23

hi, welcome to porteus forum :)
first, lets find out what your wifi hardware is:
as root in terminal:

Code: Select all

lspci -k -s $(lspci | grep -Ei 'wifi|wireless|network' | awk '{print$1}' | head -n1)
if i'm not trying to be too clever with that, it should tell us what hardware is present and what, if any, kernel module it uses (which in turn may help in determining what firmware is missing)
otherwise, simply

lspci | grep -Ei 'wifi|wireless|network'
or in the System section of the desktop menu, there is the 'Porteus System Info' gui tool, in which there's a section for network.
Last edited by ncmprhnsbl on 14 Sep 2021, 07:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: made the lspci a one line and dropped the -k for the simpler lspci
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Portrush 5.0

Post#3 by Jack » 14 Sep 2021, 03:49

@ncmprhnsbl. I did a check both ways with Porteus 5.0rc3 untouched and the other with the old kernel 4.7.2 the only one that works.

This is Porteus 5.0rc3 mate untouched.

guest@porteus:~$ su
Password: 
root@porteus:/home/guest# 
root@porteus:/home/guest# a=$(lspci -k | grep -Ei 'wifi|wireless|network' | awk '{print$1}' | head -n1)
root@porteus:/home/guest# lspci -k -s $a 
0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card
	Kernel modules: ssb
root@porteus:/home/guest# lspci -k | grep -Ei 'wifi|wireless|network'
0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)

This is Porteus 5.0rc3 but with kernel 4.7.2 had to use it to get WiFi.

guest@porteus:~$ su
Password: 
root@porteus:/home/guest# a=$(lspci -k | grep -Ei 'wifi|wireless|network' | awk '{print$1}' | head -n1)
root@porteus:/home/guest# lspci -k -s $a
	Kernel driver in use: wl
	Kernel modules: ssb, wl
root@porteus:/home/guest# lspci -k | grep -Ei 'wifi|wireless|network'
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

mccaber
White ninja
White ninja

Porteus 5.0

Post#4 by mccaber » 15 Sep 2021, 00:19

Hello and thank you for the response. So here is the result:

02:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT3290 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe
DeviceName: Ralink RT3290LE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Ralink RT3290LE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter
Kernel driver in use: rt2800pci
Kernel modules: rt2800pci

Also I am sorry for not using BBcode currently on a mobile device.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Porteus 5.0

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 15 Sep 2021, 02:19

ok, so as it said: the firmware is missing for that driver..
this should fix that: rt3290-firmware.xzm
place it your <install media>/porteus/modules folder and boot.. and hopefully it works..
you may ask..why was it missing?
because in order to keep our ISO size down, we tend not to ship with every firmware known to man.. the criteria for choosing which to keep can be a bit tricky and is, in fact, unknown to me ;)

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Porteus 5.0

Post#6 by Bicephale » 15 Sep 2021, 10:34

{ rant-mode }

One good motive to trim it down is the Copy2RAM mode, is it not? But in a permanent installation context i'd rather delegate automatisation tasks to the computer which is build to do just that anyway, not to mention nobody is using 8 inches floppy disks anymore... The goal should be to put booting on top of the do-to list, followed by hardware profile data collection/export to help select specific resources during a later phase, if even necessary! 32 vs 64 bits CPU detection has been sacrificed to an ideology that escapes my own comprehension in days when such option has become a rare/unique feature and yet i'm now counting weeks after downloading my 1st .ISO somehow, among multiple models imposing preferences. An old grand'ma would have just given up and never look back, provided one can at least read english and use their prefered keyboard layout!! Which got sacrificed as well, even confusing Catalan and Canadian-French as far as i'm concerned (e.g. ignoring/rejecting a previous contribution in the process). So, it seems to me the erosion has gone much too far considering a single CD can hold well over 4 GB and current flash drives evolved way beyond that limit - 128 GB in the uSD slot of my CherryTrail tablet that ain't supported neither for some (possibly Hard-Wired) reason. Plus the simple fact that SlackWare got old if not closer to obsolescence for example... What's most puzzling is people reapeating manual operations ad nauseam; the hobby may have it's charms but i personally intended to use the live OS 1st then maybe attempt to fix a couple details (as double/simultaneous BlueTooth listening & more), not the other way around only because the house has been dismantled into LEGO blocks that few visitors care to put back together. No need to argue motivation may get eroded too.

Briefly put there's more "missing" than meets the eye, like a vision (as in a plan...), and i envision Copy2RAM mode as part of a greater picture where we no longer wait for a disc to spin (being unable to imagine a faster strorage unit than virtual RAMDiscs). In other words CD support needs to stay as a desirable asset but i found even that is a hit or miss experience and we're asked to send money on top of that, euh...

:sos:

Next/final phase: collective harakiri!

{ /rant-mode }

mccaber
White ninja
White ninja

Porteus 5.0

Post#7 by mccaber » 26 Sep 2021, 00:57

Hello and thank you once again, I really appreciate your help and I do have a question regarding your previous post. Where does someone go to find these firmware files? This hasn't been an issue so far as I have started to explore a few Linux distros/flavours. With that said I completely understand the reason that everything under the sun is not included in the ISO file, would defeat the purpose of Porteus. With regards to the other post below (or above now I guess it would be) from what that user is saying it seems as if they are having some frustrations with certain things. Which I can understand, but for myself that is where I find it very interesting and would like to learn more about Linux operating systems and don't mind putting in sometime trying to figure things out. Call it a hobby or whatever you like, certain hobbies are not for everyone as goes with every distro and/or flavour. To each their own. Another thing I have found is the community is great and people such as yourself are the ones that make the community the way that it is. Taking the time to help me out with my issue is most likely an issue that is a no brainer for someone such as yourself (and many others in the community) but for myself and others in my position, eventually would give up and move to something else if they cannot find solutions to their issues. So thank you so much for your time and assistance in helping experienced and less experienced users (like myself) and everyone in between. It is much appreciated! Thank you!

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Porteus 5.0

Post#8 by Jack » 26 Sep 2021, 01:25

I had the same problem so I remember I had this https://www.ebay.com/itm/255055642879?e ... SwDn5hCgb0 I plug it in and boot up Porteus 5.0rc3 Mate and the only I had to do is type in WiFi Password and that all. It works great and I'm using right now. Let me know?

Jack
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Porteus 5.0

Post#9 by ncmprhnsbl » 26 Sep 2021, 02:39

mccaber wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 00:57
Where does someone go to find these firmware files?
https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware ... arch-1.txz
contains all the firmware (barring propriety stuff) ..note the size: 170 mb compressed (around 700 mb installed) and some of it is included in our 000-kernel.xzm.
from memory, in this case, i grabbed the firmware file from my obarun(arch based) install, and it could come from any distro, though being more or less up to date would be best..
because it all comes from here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... .git/tree/