saving keyboard map

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Ray
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 4

saving keyboard map

Post#1 by Ray » 01 Sep 2021, 08:59

I've just started with Porteus, I'm impressed. Running 64 bit version from USB on HP Elitebook. I've managed to set up Firefox browser, and save it via creating a 'save.dat' file with the save file manager, and it works fine. The problem I'm having is saving a keyboard map - my laptop has a Swedish keyboard, once booted I can change the map from US by entering 'setxkbmap se', but I want to save this so I don't have to enter it every time I boot. I've tried using the save file manager to do this but no luck - it just defaults to the US keyboard on boot. Any suggestions will be gratefully received ......

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

saving keyboard map

Post#2 by Ed_P » 01 Sep 2021, 21:30

Hello Ray. Welcome to Porteus. :)

Check this webpage for Porteus Cheatcodes: http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-gen ... -them.html

Scroll down to the kmap= code.
Ed

Ray
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus 4

saving keyboard map

Post#3 by Ray » 02 Sep 2021, 10:59

Got there in the end ! - after much adding of 'kmap=se' here, there, and everywhere, finally got it to boot into Swedish keyboard - just added (eventually) 'kmap=se' onto the end of line 'APPEND changes=/porteus/save.dat' in the porteus.cfg file, to make it 'APPEND changes=/porteus/save.dat kmap.se'. I now have full command of all the squiggly bits the Swedes use in their language. The learning curve is going up ! (slowly)

Many Thanks for your help !

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

saving keyboard map

Post#4 by Ed_P » 02 Sep 2021, 14:11

:lol: Good to hear Ray. :good:

I assumed you would know where to add it since you knew where to put the changes= cheatcode. :)
Ed