Cant load Porteus on 32Bit EFI with 64BIT processor (ASUS x205TA)

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
belamat
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: debian

Post#1 by belamat » 02 Aug 2021, 23:35

Hi, how are you? First post here.

Im trying to install Porteus on a USB Stick to then use it on an ASUS x205TA (That machine is a pain in the ass for booting linux sometimes...)

The thing is that that laptop has a 32bit EFI on a 64Bit Processor. So the bootloader needs to take that into consideration, for example Fedora loads with no problem, Linux MX also, (an theres a debian multyArchitecture version that also runs)

Would it be great to boot the 64bit version, but I couldn't also load the i586, (im asuming that this should load since its a 32bit, but not sure.)

Well if someone could help or give some idea.

Have a nice day.
Thanks!!

belamat
Ronin
Ronin

Post#2 by belamat » 03 Aug 2021, 03:53

:Yahoo!: Well... I managed to load the 32bit version, now gonna try the same method with the 64. Think it will work. I'll share the workaround later (its late here and should be sleeping...)

belamat
Ronin
Ronin

Post#3 by belamat » 03 Aug 2021, 18:27

It worked also with 64Bits : )

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... sus+x205ta here they explain how to do it, the script provided there didnt worked for me so I did the manual way explained on the 2nd post there. (formating in fat32 and creating some folders with efi boot32 and a grub file)

Now I'll try to work on the missing wifi and BT drivers :)

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Post#4 by Bicephale » 04 Aug 2021, 11:30

While you're at it please have a look at the .efi files provided in multiple rEFind packages, some clearly refering to additional driving resources as for ext4 partitions if i recall correctly, etc. There's no way i'd want to retrograde to 32-bits after dreaming of a true 64-bits OS that never came, while i'm supposed to trash the laptop instead... No way, but Fedora felt simply too "heavy". Welcome Linux! Core v5+ please.

Ideally i can wait for the 1 button solution, display screens have an hypnotic effect on me these days! :wheelchair: