Installing on USB

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Installing on USB

Post#16 by Ed_P » 26 Jun 2021, 23:21

If you want to drag & drop using root use the Menu > Admin > Nemo Root User link but copying a file from /tmp doesn't need it. Moving or deleting it does but files in the /tmp folder get deleted when you reboot. (And the xzm files don't need to be moved, or saved, with root. Only when manually activated rather than when booting.)

Personally I find learning some new things fun, especially on a small, light weight, fast distro. ;)
Ed

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Installing on USB

Post#17 by ncmprhnsbl » 27 Jun 2021, 07:46

Ed_P wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 23:21
but copying a file from /tmp doesn't need it.
well, that depends where you're copying to.. if the destination is a root owned folder on POSIX filesystem(eg. ext*) then, yes, you do. ..not exactly a big deal though..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Darkstar
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Zorin

Installing on USB

Post#18 by Darkstar » 27 Jun 2021, 09:44

I tried again this morning but I'm going to bin it. Its the most counter intuitive, geeky, frustrating distro out there and its target market wouldnt fill a large bus. I dont want to spend days "learning" something, I want it to work.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Installing on USB

Post#19 by Ed_P » 27 Jun 2021, 12:21

I understand Darkstar. I have no idea why you had such problems copying a module to the modules folder. No one has had them before that I recall.
Ed

Rapha_
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Xfce 4.12 - 5.rc3 - x86_64

Installing on USB

Post#20 by Rapha_ » 27 Jun 2021, 13:24

Hello Darkstar,
Darkstar wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 19:05
I couldnt copy or drag or cut & paste the firefox file to modules however I tried.
I suspect I cant drag and drop because of the (often bizarre) root permissions.

I agree with you, it's not very pleasant!
Is the rights permissions on the tmp folder and copy and paste are more strict with ext4 than on Ext2 & Ext3 ?

I just tried this function and I had the same problem of permissions on the file downloaded in the tmp folder.

I had instead downloaded the module from another browser from this Ftp download site (Porteus modules).
http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/port ... 0/modules/

There are other mirror sites :
http://porteus.org/porteus-mirrors.html

The download goes directly into the Download folder of the Guest desktop, it is more easier...

Rapha

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Installing on USB

Post#21 by Ed_P » 27 Jun 2021, 22:45

Rapha_ wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 13:24
I just tried this function and I had the same problem of permissions on the file downloaded in the tmp folder.
When I boot a USB drive with Porteus installed the /tmp folder is in RAM and the modules folder is on the FAT32 drive and when I COPY a downloaded, or created, xzm module to the modules folder I have never had problems doing it. Cutting, or Moving, the module requires root permission but why use root when the module copies fine with guest?

Were you using an EXT type drive Raphal? I have never found a need to use that drive format.
Ed

Rapha_
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Xfce 4.12 - 5.rc3 - x86_64

Installing on USB

Post#22 by Rapha_ » 28 Jun 2021, 15:34

Yes copy the file from /tmp directory is better than cut (or move as is it sayinng in the download script}....But with a Porteus in a Usb (iso or installed), Chrome and Chromium (xzm) from Porteus server cant' be pasted in another directory (error message), and I don't know why ----> You have to change the permissions (other permissions) for the file in tmp, and now it works

Nb: I used Porteus 4 + 5 (kfce)

Were you using an EXT type drive Raphal? I have never found a need to use that drive format.
On Porteus installed on a hard drive (Ext4), I need to be root to past in optional directory

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Installing on USB

Post#23 by Ed_P » 28 Jun 2021, 20:47

I am on my Porteus 4 FAT32 USB drive's Cinnamon system posting this. I just used the Browser Selection and Update Tool to download Chromium.

Code: Select all

Finished checks. 

#############################################
Welcome to the Porteus chromium-ungoogled updater.

chromium-ungoogled for Slackware is packaged by AlienBob.
If you find it useful, consider donating:
https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/

Installed version:    
Porteus server version:  89.0.4389.90 
Latest version:   91.0.4472.114 

Would you like to download the porteus server version? [y/n]
Downloading: chromium-ungoogled-89.0.4389.90-x86_64-en-US-1alien.xzm  DONE

Your file is at:   /tmp/chromium-ungoogled-89.0.4389.90-x86_64-en-US-1alien.xzm 

sh-4.4# 
There is no message to move the file from the /tmp folder. When I open my file manager, Nemo, and right click on the .xzm file I have several options available but Move, and Cut are not one of them. Copy is the only option for getting it to my USB drive's Modules folder. I select Copy, open the Modules folder and click on Paste and get the error window,

There was an error copying the file into /mnt/sdb1/Modules
Show more details shows the error to be "Permission denied"!

I repeated the process for Firefox.

Would you like to download the porteus server version? [y/n]

Downloading: firefox-89.0.1-x86_64-en-US.xzm  DONE

Your file is at:  /tmp/firefox-89.0.1-x86_64-en-US.xzm 
Please move it to your modules folder to survive a reboot.

sh-4.4# 
There is a message to "move" the file not "copy" it but Move is not an option when I right click on it so I Copy it to the Modules folder, click on Paste and the file is copied.

We have a bug in the Browser Selection app.

guest@porteus:/tmp$ ls -l *.xzm
-rw------- 1 root root 84013056 Mar 29 03:24 chromium-ungoogled-89.0.4389.90-x86_64-en-US-1alien.xzm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 67297280 Jun 22 09:13 firefox-89.0.1-x86_64-en-US.xzm
guest@porteus:/tmp$ 
Thank you guys for bringing this to our attention. And sorry for the frustration this caused you Darkstar.
Ed

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Installing on USB

Post#24 by beny » 29 Jun 2021, 08:23

Ed_P the move option is only for the people that use porteus without changes folder so if we have to use packages we have to move into modules folder,isn't a bug.and i use xfce su root thunar copy the module or what you want, we forget porteus is a portable system and read only system you can tweak it as you wish without dat or changes and without fat32 file system.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Installing on USB

Post#25 by Ed_P » 29 Jun 2021, 19:55

beny packages don't have to be moved to the modules folder to be present for the next boot. Copying them to the modules folder works also, with or with a changes folder.
Ed

Bicephale
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Live CDs

Installing on USB

Post#26 by Bicephale » 04 Aug 2021, 13:26

beny wrote:
29 Jun 2021, 08:23
...we forget porteus is a portable system and read only system you can tweak it as you wish...
Not here, the idea of loading from a frozen .ISO image-file was always on the back of my mind as that's potentially an asset to be read-only at times...

Tweaking ability is good to have too, but i much prefer 1-btn solutions in the end. Spend 5 minutes to save 10 for everybody else was my motto, long ago. Glad it's not on me now. Thanks for that!