[NOTICE - TO BE SOLVED AGAIN] Could not acquire name on session bus - Porteus 4.0 x86_64

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
supertabs
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: porteus-4.0-x86_64

Could not acquire name on session bus - Porteus 4.0 x86_64

Post#16 by supertabs » 09 Jun 2021, 09:04

supertabs wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 08:11
Ed_P wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 04:04
that approach to create a menu item that boots to root
Hello Ed_P!! I tried to login as root using the cheatcode login=root in cinnamon desktop environment, but still the same error appears.

I have some news for you. I tried using the mate desktop environment.
supertabs wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 04:54
Ed_P, I tried using the Mate Desktop Environment, but upon booting I got "failed to execute login command" :( , then I will be redirected to the lock screen; logging in again produces the same message error. :cry: :wall:
Remember this? I tried to go the terminal by pressing

Code: Select all

Ctrl + Alt + F1
on the login manager ( or SLiM is what it is called right?) and then I saw errors that may help.

Here is the messages:

X. Org X Server 1.19.6
Release Date: 2017-12-20
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Slackware 15.0 Slackware Linux Project
Current Operating System: Linux porteus 4.16.3-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 21 12:42:52 Local time zone must be set-- x86_64
Kernel command line: quiet initrd=/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz changes=/porteus noload=003-lxde load=003-mate login=guest
Build Date: 23 December 2017  02:12:25PM

Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
               Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
               to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Oct  5 00:33:27 2017
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
/usr/bin/xauth:  file /home/guest/.Xauthority does not exist
mate-session[1327]: GLib-GIO-ERROR: Setting schema 'org.mate.session' is not installed

aborting...
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
(II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
slim: opening new Log file, while another is already open
/usr/bin/xauth:  file /var/run/slim.auth does not exist
Ed_P wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 04:04
See if this helps you supertabs
I will try to use that cinnamon.xzm that you gave me. I will comeback to bring more error logs :D
I have .Xauthority sitting in my /home/guest/ folder, how it is possible that xauth cannot read it? Also with the file /var/run/slim.auth it does exist, but I do not know why xauth cannot see it. :( :(
Those who win the race are those who are slow and steady. :happy62:

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#17 by ncmprhnsbl » 09 Jun 2021, 12:08

supertabs wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 09:04
have .Xauthority sitting in my /home/guest/ folder, how it is possible that xauth cannot read it? Also with the file /var/run/slim.auth it does exist, but I do not know why xauth cannot see it.
that's an old minor bug, i think, can't remember what it's about, pretty sure that's not a problem ... the missing schema seems more likely
supertabs wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 08:52
Should I delete the "changes" folder in the porteus directory?
that or rename it. you might be able to reuse some of it if there's something in there you're attached to..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

supertabs
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#18 by supertabs » 09 Jun 2021, 12:27

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 12:08
supertabs wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 09:04
have .Xauthority sitting in my /home/guest/ folder, how it is possible that xauth cannot read it? Also with the file /var/run/slim.auth it does exist, but I do not know why xauth cannot see it.
that's an old minor bug, i think, can't remember what it's about, pretty sure that's not a problem ... the missing schema seems more likely
supertabs wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 08:52
Should I delete the "changes" folder in the porteus directory?
that or rename it. you might be able to reuse some of it if there's something in there you're attached to..
I deleted it! Everything works fine now. :D :lol: :celebrate3: Unfortunately, I forgot to backup my git ssh keys and my gpg keys. :wall: :O: So I have to make one again. Anyways, thanks for everyone that helped me :D :magic:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#19 by Ed_P » 09 Jun 2021, 15:14

:Yahoo!: Excellent news. :celebrate3:

When you get your keys reset and have a working system make a backup copy of your changes folder.

A minor suggestion for your boot parms, your load= not needed. Porteus loads everything in the modules folder, if you have multiple 003 files just noload= the ones you don't want to use.

noload=cinn;xfce;lxqt
Have fun. :)
Ed

supertabs
Black ninja
Black ninja

[NOTICE - TO BE SOLVED AGAIN] Could not acquire name on session bus - Porteus 4.0 x86_64

Post#20 by supertabs » 21 Jun 2021, 11:31

ncmprhnsbl and Ed_P :magic:

I manage to reproduce the ERROR inside virtual box!!! :O:
Please watch here: https://youtu.be/K63z6Uzv0A8

Please reply me If you found a solution. :D Thank you for all of the support. :celebrate14:
Last edited by supertabs on 21 Jun 2021, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

supertabs
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#21 by supertabs » 21 Jun 2021, 13:20

:Search: If someone here managed to reproduce the error, is there a solution for this rather than deleting or renaming porteus changes? :Search:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#22 by Ed_P » 21 Jun 2021, 19:15

In the 1st 4 minutes, of a somewhat choppy video, you were making many changes but Porteus was booting. So whatever change you made after that must have caused your VM problem. I don't use VM so I'm not much help there and I don't use EXT partitions so I'm not much help there either.

My changes are to a save.dat files on NTFS and FAT32 file systems and I periodically back the save.dat file up so if something goes wrong I can replace the current file with a backup. And yes sometimes things go so wrong that I end up having to create a new save.dat file and rebuilding all my changes which can be a royal pain. How one does that with changes on EXT4 partitions I have no idea.

Hopefully a more experienced Porteus tech can help you supertabs.
Ed

supertabs
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#23 by supertabs » 22 Jun 2021, 10:49

To be clear, this problem is not related with the virtual machine. What I just did is reproduced the error inside the virtual machine. I mean this happened to my real machine (my computer), the error "Could not acquire name on session bus", and the only way I get rid of this is deleting my porteus changes. But I do not believe that deleting the changes folder is the only way to fix this. So to be clear again, I am running a Porteus inside Porteus, thru VirtualBox. The Guest Os (The Porteus inside porteus is what I am experimenting with now). On the other hand the Host Os (Porteus also), is what I am using to run virtual box. If you still dont understand, This is just simple, it happened to my Host Os, and now I want to reproduce it inside the Guest Os. I am doing this because if someone run across this problem, then they might find a solution here. So please if someone can help me, I really beg your help.

The video above I attached is what I do to reproduce the problem inside the guest os Porteus. I am using Porteus x86_64 for both my Host and Guest OS, and there is no direct relation between the problem and the virtual machine. I hope you all here understand my problem. I am also working with this problem, but I am no Linux Expert, so expect that I cannot easily resolved this. If someone here needs the log files, or something, I can give it to you, as long as my internet data is sufficient (my connection is metered).

I am verry sorry and sad, but I know anyone here will help.