Encrypting save.dat

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
maverick
White ninja
White ninja

Encrypting save.dat

Post#1 by maverick » 11 Jan 2012, 20:04

Any recommendations on the best way to do this? I understand Porteus has had some issues with encryption in the past, but what's the current status? If not supported, do you guys think it would be possible to place the save.dat file in a Truecrypt container on the USB drive, then prompt the user for the password during startup (after the Truecrypt module loads), and mount it before KDE is booted? Thanks

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Encrypting save.dat

Post#2 by Hamza » 11 Jan 2012, 20:08

NjVFQzY2Rg==

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#3 by fanthom » 12 Jan 2012, 18:48

@maverick
encrypting save.dat requires changes to initrd and liuxrc which is not easy.
i would recommend you using truecrypt for encrypting specific folders or encfs (both in 64bit repo).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

maverick
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by maverick » 13 Jan 2012, 05:30

Thanks fanthom, I will probably follow your suggestion and use Truecrypt containers for specific folders for the time being :). However, please treat this as a feature request and consider adding a simple way to create an encrypted save.dat container in the future (maybe you could check how Puppy Linux does it?) This would be particularly useful for things like browser history and saved forms, personalized KDE widgets (such as notes and stock portfolios), recent documents, wireless passwords, etc which would be awkward and difficult to integrate with the file system if encrypted as separate Truecrypt containers and dangerous to keep unencrypted on a USB flash drive

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 13 Jan 2012, 08:18

yes - encrypting save.dat sounds better than encrypting whole porteus installation (like it was before) so probably i'll try that now (or maybe i'll do both?)
added to my TODO list for porteus-2.0.
will look at puppy - thanks.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 13 Jan 2012, 15:54

I like the idea of an encrypted .dat file. We must also consider that one may not be using a save.dat file as in the case of saving changes to non-fat partition. These users may also like somewhere to lock down important stuff.

What about folder called 'vault' in the Porteus folder (or user choice) that could be encrypted on shutdown and decrypted at boot time (before magic-folders are bound). This could be a good place to store magic-folders and other important documents with sensitive info. Just something to think about.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.