which version?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Bob1414
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Cinnamon 4 kernel5.11.13 p

which version?

Post#1 by Bob1414 » 28 Mar 2021, 16:07

Greetings, I'd like to have a version of Porteus to boot from a USB stick. A very small download size would be good.

I only want to use Firefox (with some addons) and an email client like Thunderbird (or Interlink?). The Kiosk version won't let me install an email client, correct?

I've experimented with Linux a little bit several years ago, so I'm not a complete newb. But still, I have no idea which desktop to choose, etc. I merely want to have a fallback to let me get online for essential tasks, if my Windows goes bad. (I'd also eventually, but not right now, like to leave Windows behind and go to Linux for the majority of the time.)

Is it possible to download a version with FF and an email client already included in an ISO? But no Office Libre, etc. Just web and email on a bootable USB flash for emergencies. It'd also be nice to be able to quickly and easily start Porteus up via Windows10, to practice with it and not have to restart-and-boot into Porteus for the learning.

I've used Rufus to make bootable USBs, but apparently that's not good for Porteus. How about Ventoy?

Overall, for starters, which version should I download? Thanks.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

which version?

Post#2 by Ed_P » 28 Mar 2021, 18:16

Hello Bob,

If you want a Kiosk version there is only one option. ttbomk https://porteus-kiosk.org/documentation.html

If you want a normal version there are several available. http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/Porteus-v4.0/ The instructions to install them on a USB stick are in the ISO, USB_INSTALLATION.txt file. This may help. Porteus on UEFI-ONLY: rock solid boot! (Post by nanZor #81754)
A browser is not included but the ability to download one is. menu > Internet > Browser Selection and Update Tool.

If you want to run it in a virtual machine on Windows you need to check a Windows forum.
Ed

Bob1414
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Cinnamon 4 kernel5.11.13 p

which version?

Post#3 by Bob1414 » 07 Apr 2021, 02:30

That actually made things exceedingly easy, thanks :)