Sakura Window Title "Unnamed Window"

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
rych
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 x64 OpenBox

Post#1 by rych » 15 Mar 2021, 08:34

In porteus 5.0rc2 OpenBox, the sakura terminal always starts with the silly window title "Unnamed Window". I don't remember what is used to be in previous porteus but something nicer (and shorter). Setting a title=Sakura in sakura.conf doesn't seem to have any effect.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 17 Mar 2021, 12:38

hmm, seems to be a couple of ways to do this.. sakura -t <title> .. which could go in the /usr/share/applications/sakura.desktop file : Exec=sakura -t sakura (or whatever you want)
then post startup there's : rightclick>Options>Set window title
similarly, tabs can be named too, there's a keybind: shift+ctrl+N ...but not one for the window name afaics
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#3 by nanZor » 19 Mar 2021, 08:20

I really dig Sakura, got turned onto it by Slitaz. It's the only terminal that when you do a full-screen with F11, actually takes over the whole screen without any other graphics from the window managers or it's own menus.

Almost as good as going into a virtual terminal, but looks much nicer. :)

Just a wild guess if something in Sakura's "full screen" capabilities are somehow throwing up an unnamed window title? Longshot guess...
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#4 by ncmprhnsbl » 20 Mar 2021, 04:24

yeah, i don't think it's that..
https://answers.launchpad.net/sakura/+question/689809
https://git.launchpad.net/sakura/commit ... 824fd93a77
seems to suggest behavior i've never seen (dynamic title change) and that it was then fixed .. maybe not :)
as far as "unnamed window" goes, i think openbox just names it that, because xprop: WM_NAME(STRING) = is empty.. (once you set it, it's not)
eg. in cinnamon, it's name is just blank..
i'm seeing the same behavior in arch, fwiw ...maybe in ubuntu(where it's developed mosty) things are different..

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#5 by rych » 31 Jul 2022, 10:29

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 12:38
seems to be a couple of ways to do this.. sakura -t <title> .. which could go in the /usr/share/applications/sakura.desktop file : Exec=sakura -t sakura
New version of sakura shipped with 5.0 doesn't have the -t option anymore. Is there another solution? I wish we could specify the window title in sakura conf, otherwise I'm back to the stupid "Unnamed Window"

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#6 by ncmprhnsbl » 31 Jul 2022, 23:41

rych wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 10:29
New version of sakura shipped with 5.0 doesn't have the -t option anymore. Is there another solution? I wish we could specify the window title in sakura conf, otherwise I'm back to the stupid "Unnamed Window"
yeah, still have an open bug report on this at launchpad.. you can set the the tab name after launch with: rightclick>Set tab name.. or shortcut: shift+ctrl+n

...but then i noticed that there was different behaviour in nemesis(artix) (and my obarun(also arch based) install) ie. the window title takes the initial prompt: eg. guest@porteus:~
with some digging i narrowed it down to this in bashrc:

Code: Select all

case ${TERM} in
  xterm*|rxvt*|Eterm|aterm|kterm|gnome*)
    PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND; }'printf "\033]0;%s@%s:%s\007" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"'

;;
  screen*)
    PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND; }'printf "\033_%s@%s:%s\033\\" "${USER}" "${HOSTNAME%%.*}" "${PWD/#$HOME/\~}"'
    ;;
esac
which i guess sets the variable PROMPT_COMMAND which sakura(and other terms?) can use to set a "window title property" that window managers can understand... or smthng like
i havn't tested this in porteus yet, but i guess you can adjust the part after printf to display whatever you want.. eg. to set the title to just "sakura"

PROMPT_COMMAND=${PROMPT_COMMAND:+$PROMPT_COMMAND; }'printf "\033]0;%s\007" "sakura"'
EDIT:
just checking the launchpad bug report thread: another solution:
add to ~/.config/sakura/sakura.conf > line: tab_default_title= (doesn't matter if it's empty or whatever you put, the title will always be "sakura")
(again, havn't tested it in porteus)
EDIT EDIT:
both those solutions work in porteus 5.0

the downside of the tab_default_title= approach is that it breaks dynamic tab name setting ..ie. whatever you change the tab name to, the window title remains the same (sakura) whereas the bashrc way does allow that (although each new tab has the original window name)

another thing: without doing either of those^ just opening a new tab (ctrl+shft+t) gives names: terminal 0 and terminal 1 (and switch between tabs at least once(ctrl+arrow) which is then reflected in the window name thereafter...

rych
Warlord
Warlord

Post#7 by rych » 01 Aug 2022, 09:12

ncmprhnsbl, Thanks, this works for me and easy:

tab_default_title=