999-rootcopy.xzm vs rootcopy/

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#1 by Rava » 08 Jan 2021, 08:29

A Newbie question by yours truly, but I would have to boot several times only to figure it out for sure.

I always boot omitting automated saving of almost all changes, and keep my changes either in rootcopy/ when an ext2/3/4 partition is available, or on a 99x-rootcopy.xzm module, named 99x to be sure it gets loaded at the very end of my named modules, e.g. 992- , 993- , 994- , 995- - you get the drill.

Often I have a more complete set of saved changes in a 99x-rootcopy.xzm module and the more recent ones in rootcopy/ folder.

Now, since I also use FAT16/FAT32 USB thumbdrives without a 2nd Linux partition I only can use 99x- modules for saving and loading rootcopy changes on these devices.

But when I am on a system with a working Linux FS rootcopy/ the following could happen:

I updated the 99x-rootcopy.xzm to the newest changes and copied it to e.g. external FAT32-only drive e.g. /mnt/sdb1 but also to the internal /mnt/sda1 base/ … and the internal /mnt/sda1 also uses a rootcopy/ folder.

And now we finally come to my question.

In the above case, it could happen that the newer settings are to be found in base/995-rootcopy.xzm and more outdated ones to be found in rootcopy/

Would at the next boot from /mnt/sda1 the older files in rootcopy/ overwrite the newer ones in 995-rootcopy.xzm ?

Cause that would not be as I wanted it. And would create the need to every time delete files in rootcopy/ as soon as a new 994-rootcopy.xzm got created and copied into base/
Last edited by Rava on 08 Jan 2021, 09:52, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: omitted "running always fresh" see poost #3 for why
Cheers!
Yours Rava

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 08 Jan 2021, 08:42

afaiui, rootcopy is always loaded last, so yes, whatever is present in rootcopy will overwrite whatever of the same files in loaded modules.

"always fresh" usually includes cheatcodes: norootcopy and baseonly as well as no changes= ..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#3 by Rava » 08 Jan 2021, 09:49

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 08:42
afaiui, rootcopy is always loaded last, so yes, whatever is present in rootcopy will overwrite whatever of the same files in loaded modules.
okay…
"always fresh" usually includes cheatcodes: norootcopy and baseonly as well as no changes= ..
I think I should better call it "omitting changes folder or changes save-dat" then since technically I omit any automated savings of changes while omitting "always fresh" cheatcode as well. :crazy:

I better edit my above post. Image
Cheers!
Yours Rava