enable automatic login

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
ppW
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 1

enable automatic login

Post#1 by ppW » 31 Aug 2020, 01:41

Hello everyone, how to enable automatic login on portues?
The system version I use is 4.0.
I found that there are related options in the system settings,but it cannot be applied
Thanks!

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

enable automatic login

Post#2 by Ed_P » 31 Aug 2020, 15:00

How are you booting Porteus? Are you referring to booting or activating after it has been suspended? What system setting are you referring to and why can't it be applied? :%)
Ed

ppW
Ronin
Ronin

enable automatic login

Post#3 by ppW » 03 Sep 2020, 02:51

Ed_P wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:00
How are you booting Porteus? Are you referring to booting or activating after it has been suspended? What system setting are you referring to and why can't it be applied? :%)
Thanks,Ed_p
I installed it on the USB flash drive and booted from the USB flash drive.
The graphical interface is selected after startup.
I want to add a user in the system settings and check automatic login.
However, after entering the information and confirming it, the new user cannot be seen in the user list on the left.
Last edited by ppW on 03 Sep 2020, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.

ppW
Ronin
Ronin

enable automatic login

Post#4 by ppW » 03 Sep 2020, 02:52

I hope that after the system is started, it can automatically log in as the set user.
No need to enter username and password.

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

enable automatic login

Post#5 by roadie » 03 Sep 2020, 05:37

ppW wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 02:51
Ed_P wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:00
Thanks,Ed_p
I installed it on the USB flash drive and booted from the USB flash drive.
The graphical interface is selected after startup.
I want to add a user in the system settings and check automatic login.
However, after entering the information and confirming it, the new user cannot be seen in the user list on the left.

The user "guest" is hard coded in the initrd.xz. When Porteus boots, it's looking only for "root" or "guest", it knows nothing about other users. The only way to change that would be to rebuild the initrd.xz,

I'm surprised that automatic login isn't working......I suspect you're trying to log in as another user.......that's gonna be difficult without rebuilding the initrd.

Check the "linuxrc" script in /mnt/live, you'll see how it's set up for users.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

enable automatic login

Post#6 by Blaze » 03 Sep 2020, 07:27

Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

enable automatic login

Post#7 by ncmprhnsbl » 03 Sep 2020, 09:02

roadie wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 05:37
The user "guest" is hard coded in the initrd.xz. When Porteus boots, it's looking only for "root" or "guest", it knows nothing about other users. The only way to change that would be to rebuild the initrd.xz,
actually, there's nothing in linuxrc to do with login.. there is one line referring to guest to do with a (then) bug with busybox 'cp -a' not preserving folder attributes(i guess the origin of the nonposix rootcopy misunderstanding ;) )
login stuff is mostly handled by /etc/rc.d/rc.4 and as far as i know, it's fairly user agnostic..
the default is: autologin, and the cheatcodes: nologin (possibly login= for 4.0) or login=<a user> override this...
the question fo ppW, is: how exactly(with what tools) did you create the new user account ? ie. which DE are you using?
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

enable automatic login

Post#8 by Ed_P » 03 Sep 2020, 18:00

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 09:02
ie. which DE are you using?
What Distribution: 1 not clear enough for you? :lol:
Ed

roadie
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 5.0-RC1

enable automatic login

Post#9 by roadie » 03 Sep 2020, 20:09

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 09:02
actually, there's nothing in linuxrc to do with login.. there is one line referring to guest to do with a (then) bug with busybox 'cp -a' not preserving folder attributes(i guess the origin of the nonposix rootcopy misunderstanding ;) )
login stuff is mostly handled by /etc/rc.d/rc.4 and as far as i know, it's fairly user agnostic..
the default is: autologin, and the cheatcodes: nologin (possibly login= for 4.0) or login=<a user> override this...
the question fo ppW, is: how exactly(with what tools) did you create the new user account ? ie. which DE are you using?

Right you are, I confused it with my Porteus/Slitaz.........too many balls in the air.

orkiman
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus-CINNAMON-v5.0rc2-x86_6

enable automatic login

Post#10 by orkiman » 24 Sep 2020, 20:43

hi! new here :oops: anyway :
I installed Porteus-CINNAMON-v5.0rc2-x86_64.iso
I added the cheat code login=root to boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg (in the APPEND line of the GRAPHICAL section )
since then, the username at the login page was '=root' (with the "=" instead of just 'root')..
it all fixed when I deleted (renamed) the file porteus/changes/etc/slim.conf
I think it's a bug... :hmmm:

second question : where is usm or: how do i install new programs ? (eg. geany...)
thanks! Or :thumbsup:

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

enable automatic login

Post#11 by ncmprhnsbl » 26 Sep 2020, 05:22

orkiman wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 20:43
I installed Porteus-CINNAMON-v5.0rc2-x86_64.iso
I added the cheat code login=root to boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg (in the APPEND line of the GRAPHICAL section )
since then, the username at the login page was '=root' (with the "=" instead of just 'root')..
it all fixed when I deleted (renamed) the file porteus/changes/etc/slim.conf
I think it's a bug...
hi welcome to porteus,
yes, this is a bug, for cinnamon(and probably mate, maybe kde) : a simple typo in /etc/rc.d/rc.4:
lines:

Code: Select all

login=`egrep -o "^login=[^ ]+*" /etc/bootcmd.cfg | cut -dn -f2`
nologin=`grep -o "^nologin" /etc/bootcmd.cfg`
should be:

Code: Select all

login=`egrep -o "login=[^ ]+*" /etc/bootcmd.cfg | cut -d= -f2`
nologin=`grep -o "nologin" /etc/bootcmd.cfg`
(remove the ^ in front of login=)
since you're using changes, you can edit this and those cheatcodes should work for you.
orkiman wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 20:43
second question : where is usm or: how do i install new programs ? (eg. geany...)
usm is in a state of limbo for 5.0 at the moment, since we're running with slackware current... once slackware 15 arrives and porteus 5.0 is finalized, maybe it will be reinstated, too early to say ..
for packages that are in slackware-current official repo, there's getpkg
in the meantime there's Ignispkg for Porteus 5.0 and other web based helpers like slakfinder.org or pkgs.org .. tracking down dependencies is manual, i'm afraid: eg. using ldd /usr/bin/foo to find missing libs and/or running in the term and decyphering the errors.. slakfinder.org does have a nice filename(eg. lib.so) search feature..
for geany: so happens, i have a module lying around: geany-1.36 for porteus 5.0+
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44