Customising Porteus

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
grump
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: v5.0-x86_64

Customising Porteus

Post#1 by grump » 11 Aug 2020, 15:58

A newbie question for you.
How do I configure my mouse?
Let me shed some light on this question:
While I am new to Porteus and have never used slackware before, I am no stranger to Linux and xfce has always been my preferred desktop.
I use a Anir mouse for my disabled hands and usually just drop my prepared 40-libinput.conf file over the existing one in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d.
This file is not present in the Porteus /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and creating it really screwed any control over cursor for me, I tried copying the relevant sections to the wacom and vm files to avail.
I have a need to create a specific live system for a purpose, Porteus seems to be perfect for job.
However I need to get through the initial stumbling blocks of getting cursor control and the ability to update the repository.

Porteus-XFCE-v5.0rc1-x86_64

grump
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: v5.0-x86_64

Customising Porteus

Post#2 by grump » 11 Aug 2020, 19:22

Well maybe Porteus is not the way for me to go after all.
I finally got the repository to update from reading the posts and acting on more than one.
I don't like that I had to go back a version to 4.1 because 5 doesn't work and commenting out my local server, why can't I download from any server?
The USM is useless as a package manager, telling me to wait 6 hours because it can't find LIBS.TXT.
Of the 8 packages I want it can only find 2, ok so I can get them elswhere but that won't suit the people who will be using the system I create.
An easy gui and mouse control is essential for them, It would make my life easier too.
Back to Puppy or Debian-dog I think.