How to Mount hidden volume (EFI)

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
ttempelmann
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Post#1 by ttempelmann » 27 Jun 2020, 15:00

I needed a temporary Linux distro to repair my Hackintosh system. So I tried Porteus (5.0 64 bit).

I ran into several issues:

1. The file explorer does not show the various EFI volumes. How do I make them accessible? Also, even though /etc/fstab seems to mention them, they are not fully mounted, as when I do "ls" into their mount points, I see only an empty dir.

2. While it's great Porteus reads HFS and APFS out of the box, the issue for using it as a rescue system is that it won't let me dive into the users' folders because they have different uids than my Porteus user. There needs to be an option that lets me ignore ownership on the volume but I can't find it. I don't want to have to use the Console and sudo to browser the files, obviousl.y

3. At some point, I was asked to enter the root password. That pw should be shown to me when I boot the system. I mean, if one can google it, then why try to hide it? It's been a real pain to find the pw because, well, I was bootet into Porteus without network access. Guess how difficult that was.

Any suggestions on how to solve #1 and #2?

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#2 by Blaze » 27 Jun 2020, 15:25

Hi ttempelmann.
1) Can you show output of these commands

Code: Select all

lsblk -e7 -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,TYPE,MOUNTPOINT
cat /etc/fstab
dmesg | grep -i 'EFI\|FS\|mount'
2) Try this hack

Code: Select all

su
toor
chgrp -R users /path-to/users-folders
chmod -R 775 /path-to/users-folders
:)
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

ttempelmann
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Post#3 by ttempelmann » 27 Jun 2020, 16:21

I certainly do not want to change the actual permissions of my working data volumes! I find it a bit worrysome to suggest that as a hack in a "newbie questions" forum without any warning that this may be irreversible.

See this as feedback for improving Porteus. I eventually gave up and used a different way to access my files and restore the EFI files.

For the EFI volumes: They're probably marked a "non-mount" in the GUID Table, so it should be understood that it's normal that they do not get mounted by default. My point was that there should be a way to mount them using the UI. Maybe there is one, but I had no idea where to look for it.

Overall, Porteus looks impressive and was working well, though.

I'm signing out now as I have no further use for Porteus.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#4 by Blaze » 27 Jun 2020, 19:02

ttempelmann wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 16:21
For the EFI volumes: They're probably marked a "non-mount" in the GUID Table
for this you can run gparted
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#5 by Ed_P » 27 Jun 2020, 21:04

ttempelmann wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 16:21
I certainly do not want to change the actual permissions of my working data volumes! I find it a bit worrysome to suggest that as a hack in a "newbie questions" forum without any warning that this may be irreversible.
If they can be changed one way they can be changed back. The only thing I find irreversible is deleted files. :happy62:
For the EFI volumes: They're probably marked a "non-mount" in the GUID Table, so it should be understood that it's normal that they do not get mounted by default. My point was that there should be a way to mount them using the UI. Maybe there is one, but I had no idea where to look for it.
I have no problem with Porteus accessing my EFI partitions or its folders. But my system is Windows based.
I'm signing out now as I have no further use for Porteus.
Sorry to see you go ttempelmann, I think you were our only Apple user.
Ed