saves are not being made & USM not working...

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Sergyos
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus kde USB

Post#1 by Sergyos » 05 Jun 2020, 20:49

Hello, i just installed the latest version and can't get the changes to be made. Everytime i login i have to change the language to spanish,i lose my browser settings,desktop settings,window settings...and USM doesn't work

The only thing that actually persisted is the browser ,but no history,passwords,etc, all gone. I have done serval searches in the forum and used (i assume) most of the simplest methods to fix my error, but no luck in the end, when i reboot i miss most of my configuration. I used the tutorial on appendix B ,i did it all as it was instructed there,so i don't know what's wrong.

Now,i'm a first time user,after using Mint for more than a decade, so all this is very new to me...so,little help? i really want to keep this system,it's so fast and since my hard disk burned, Porteus seems like the best option for a fast and enjoyable operating system.

thanks in advance

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 06 Jun 2020, 00:56

Hello Sergyos. Welcome to Porteus.

In the test release of Porteus 5.0 rc1 USM does not work. As for saving your changes I assume your USB drive is formated as exFAT? If so you need to create a save.dat file which can be done via the Porteus Menu's Admin Porteus save file function. Make the file big enough to handle Porteus changes and browser changes but don't go overboard and make it to handle large downloads and alike. They can be saved on the USB drive directly. My save.dat files are about 400MB. And if they get too full they can be expanded.
Ed

Sergyos
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus kde USB

Post#3 by Sergyos » 07 Jun 2020, 16:36

Ed_P wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 00:56
Hello Sergyos. Welcome to Porteus.

In the test release of Porteus 5.0 rc1 USM does not work. As for saving your changes I assume your USB drive is formated as exFAT? If so you need to create a save.dat file which can be done via the Porteus Menu's Admin Porteus save file function. Make the file big enough to handle Porteus changes and browser changes but don't go overboard and make it to handle large downloads and alike. They can be saved on the USB drive directly. My save.dat files are about 400MB. And if they get too full they can be expanded.
Thank you