Can't use USM, missing database file.

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
benjermin96
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus

Post#1 by benjermin96 » 24 Apr 2020, 13:46

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to Porteus. I've installed it (32 bit) on a USB drive. I access it through Oracle Virtual Box on my Dell Desktop, and also on my old 32bit IBM thinkpad which has no hard drive.
I had to format the USB drive to a couple different file systems in gparted in ubuntu before I finally found one that worked with porteus for me without error. (ext2). Everything seems to be going smoothly.
But when I try to run USM, I'm given an error message that says I don't have the required database file.

I've tried following this post [INFO & SCRIPT] Slackware Mirror Settings for USM, but upon executing only the first command in the konsole (guest@porteus:~$ bash sesm.sh all), I get the message that sesm.sh is not a recognized command.
If anyone out there can shoot me some advice I would be very grateful. I'm fairly new to using the terminal in linux, it seems a little daunting to be honest. :wall:

Thank you for your time!

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#2 by beny » 24 Apr 2020, 16:46

bash-5.0$ usm -u all, this is the usm command to upgrade database or you can write usm only for the help

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 24 Apr 2020, 17:40

benjermin96 wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 13:46
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to Porteus.
Welcome benjermin96.
I had to format the USB drive to a couple different file systems in gparted in ubuntu before I finally found one that worked with porteus for me without error. (ext2). Everything seems to be going smoothly.
Porteus runs fine on FAT32 formated drives, which is what I use. Did you review the USB_INSTALLATION.txt file in the Porteus ISO?
I've tried following this post [INFO & SCRIPT] Slackware Mirror Settings for USM, but upon executing only the first command in the konsole (guest@porteus:~$ bash sesm.sh all), I get the message that sesm.sh is not a recognized command.
After saving the sesm.sh script you need to make it executable. In a terminal/konsole window run: chmod +x sesm.sh

Then run beny's: usm -u all command.

If you encounter a problem you know where to find us. :)
Ed