[SOLVED] porteus/modules not activating module

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
bbcbooya
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: ubuntu

Post#1 by bbcbooya » 15 Apr 2020, 07:20

Hello!

I created a virtualbox guess addition module using Vbox builder.
Everything went fine and I moved the module into my:
/mnt/sda1/porteus/modules directory

Inside this directory I have the chrome browser .xzm and my vbox xzm file.
When porteus boots up, it unfortunately doesn't load the module.

I verify this by:
1) Checking if I can resize the virtualbox window to see if it'll auto-adjust resolution, which doesn't work.
2) Checking: System Tools -> Porteus Modules and all modules have a green icon next to them except for the vbox module which has a red icon next to it.
I can double click on the vbox module and it'll activate it and turn green, but I still can't resize my virtualbox window and have it adjust the resolution, and i'm thinking its because the module needs to be loaded when the OS comes up?

Porteus OS: Porteus-LXDE-v4.0-x86_64
Host OS: Mac OSX

Am I missing a step in the module creation process? Any log file I should be looking at to see where the problem may be?
Last edited by bbcbooya on 16 Apr 2020, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

jssouza
Legendary
Legendary
Distribution: Porteus x86 arm

porteus/modules not activating module

Post#2 by jssouza » 16 Apr 2020, 04:10

As far as I remember, Porteus deactivates the vbox module once the drivers are loaded.

Try this:
Move the vbox xzm to base directory (for you that is /mnt/sda1/porteus/base) and rename it to 000-virtbox.xzm

If still unable to resize:
- Ensure 000-virtbox.xzm is still present in /mnt/live/memory/images
- Run lsmod to check if ttm, vboxguest and vboxvideo drivers are loaded. If not:
- Ensure /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc/ has vboxguest.so, vboxsf.so and vboxvideo.so present. (<kernel-version> is 5.1.5 for porteus 5rc1, portues 4 it is different)
- Run these commands as root:
depmod -a
modprobe vboxguest
modprobe vboxvideo

bbcbooya
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: ubuntu

Post#3 by bbcbooya » 16 Apr 2020, 22:52

Thanks @jssouza for your comments, I wasn't able to go through your suggestions as I had solved this issue yesterday through another means.

As I was looking through the forums for suggestions, I found a post who said they had done what I had done exactly and it worked with them, but they had only tested on XFCE and KDE.

So I went and tried re-doing my initial Vbox builder steps again but on the XFCE version and that actually worked!!

I'm new to these graphical tech that the various flavors uses so I unfortunately don't know why XFCE worked, but LXDE didn't for Virtual Box Guest Additions, but if anyone knows the answer, I am curious to know!!