Booting Porteus from USB ("Security Boot Failed" error)

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
meet
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 4.0

Post#1 by meet » 31 Mar 2020, 04:42

I've got the Porteus-KDE-v5.0rc1-x86_64 iso extracted on the USB stick using Universal USB Installer. Then I had run the Porteus-Windows-Installer file as administrator. However, when I try to boot using USB, my PC shows "Security Boot Failed" message under a yellow padlock. And then it boots the default windows on the system.

How to solve this?

Also, is there a way to solve this without having to change windows or BIOS settings at all? As I will be using this stick to log on to different PCs (portable use). So I cannot go changing files and BIOS settings on all those PCs.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 31 Mar 2020, 05:16

You only have to disable the Secure Boot option on EFI machines. No changes required on BIOS systems.
Ed

meet
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by meet » 31 Mar 2020, 17:55

Ed_P wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 05:16
You only have to disable the Secure Boot option on EFI machines. No changes required on BIOS systems.
Ed_P,

Hey Ed_P

Yes. WIth that I am able to boot using the bootable USB stick with Porteus.
However, what I am looking for is a way to boot porteus without having to change the secure boot setting or any other setting on the PC for that matter.
The thing is that I will be using this as a portable OS and will be using it on various different computers, and I will not be having rights (privileges) to change any settings or to disable secure boot on those PCs.

I need a way to just boot porteus using this USB stick, irrespective of the computer, its BIOS or EFI or HDD or OS or anything on that computer.

Is it possible?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Ed_P » 31 Mar 2020, 20:07

I was able to boot Porteus 4 on BIOS and EFI machines with Secure Boot enabled. See my posting in the other thread on doing that.

[Solved] Security Boot Fail (Post by Ed_P #67428)

As for your what you're booting I have no idea. :pardon:
Ed

meet
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by meet » 01 Apr 2020, 08:10

Ed_P wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 20:07
I was able to boot Porteus 4 on BIOS and EFI machines with Secure Boot enabled. See my posting in the other thread on doing that.

[Solved] Security Boot Fail (Post by Ed_P #67428)

As for your what you're booting I have no idea. :pardon:
Hey,

I saw this post of yours but I couldn't understand what is required to be done there.

Can you tell me in layman's terms?

Do I copy those codes in a text file and save it in respective folders mentioned? Or is there anything else required?

Note that I've only created a bootable USB through copying all ISO contents into a blank pendrive and running the Porteus boot for windows exe. I don't have anything about ubuntu or grub on the USB.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 01 Apr 2020, 14:10

Well it starts with a USB drive formatted to FAT, mine is FAT32 but I believe exFAT would work also, then I believe if you install Porteus to it from a EFI machine the install will add an EFI folder to the USB drive. At least that's how it worked with the production 4.0 system. With the 5.0 test system I have no idea what it does. Then follow the steps I've posted in the other posts and the steps burdi01 has given you. You don't need to install Ubuntu, you just need to copy some files from it.

And do update your user profile to add your distribution so people can help you better.
Ed