Flatpak installation

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Alvice
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus-v5.0 Kernel 5.1.5

Flatpak installation

Post#1 by Alvice » 19 Aug 2019, 22:18

Hi I used the USM to search for Flatpak and found a slackonly Flatpak 0.11 but when I download it it always ends with a Fatal Error: LIBS.TXT

I've already updated all the databases beforehand using usm -u all.

Also, I tried to download the Flatpak directly since USM didn't work from the repos (packages.slackonly) and manually install by converting first using txz2xzm, paste to modules then activate. Got all the dependencies indicated here: snap (snapd) for Porteus? (Post by Kulle #73084) Flatpak worked and I installed the app I was looking for, citra with instructions on https://flatpak.citra-emu.org/

I got errors related to bwrap, gsettings-desktop-schema and found the bubblewrap, glib-networking, gsettings-desktop-schema through the repos again and subsequently downloaded and installed again.

Citra loads but I get errors like:

Code: Select all

Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
and I can't click on any menu items from the menu bar once accessed but the program doesn't freeze (can press "File" but "Load File..." does nothing). When I drag a file on the window the terminal shows:

qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1512, resource id: 13454904, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0
This comes up when I try to open explorer boxes that relates to the file system (opening new files etc.):

Failed to call portal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop was not provided by any .service files
This also comes up when it can't open the explorer boxes:

failed to commit changes to dconf: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
EDITED: fixed formatting and code wrapping to console outputs
Last edited by Alvice on 20 Aug 2019, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

Alvice
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus-v5.0 Kernel 5.1.5

Flatpak installation

Post#2 by Alvice » 20 Aug 2019, 13:40

UPDATE: FIddled around with the options for flatpak and found numerous options for running an app and tested each one. It finally worked! It seems that the app wasn't allowed to peer into the filesystem (maybe something to do with permissions) but it does work. Here's the options I placed:

flatpak run -vv --log-session-bus --socket=session-bus --filesystem=home org.citra.citra-nightly
I tried to use USM to download the packages I needed but still no luck (fatal error: LIBS.TXT). So for now, to anyone that wants to replicate installing Flatpak (having the problems with USM as well) without the use of USM one can follow the steps I did in the first post. Some few things:

1.) Performance right now is iffy but playable. There's stuttering involved but I think that stems from the bottleneck of using a USB stick for read and writes (as I notice that in normal, smooth use of Porteus excluding Flatpak apps, the indicator LED on my USB stick has a gradual blinking from on to off but when it becomes unresponsive, the LED hard blinks as in periodically turns on and off abruptly. Would there be any solutions for this?

2.) I also noticed that Firefox loading of pages has slowdowns as well. When it comes to connectivity, I noticed that when I was updating apps installed with Flatpak, an error returned describing a socket IO timeout. Maybe its related to Firefox sluggish performance. Is there a way to remedy this?

3.) Tried to use USM again to download packages (flatpak etc.) but it still returns the LIBS.TXT fatal error. Tried to update it afterward and this was returned on the terminal for one of the database:

usm -u slackonly
 Starting slackonly database update 
awk: fatal: cannot open file `/vercheck.txt' for reading (No such file or directory)
Downloading: CHECKSUMS.md5.gz  DONE
Downloading: MANIFEST.bz2  DONE
Downloading: PACKAGES.TXT.gz  DONE
Downloading: LIBS.TXT.gz  DONE
awk: fatal: cannot open file `/var/usm/slackonly/CHECKSUMS.md5' for reading (No such file or directory)
md5sum: /var/usm/slackonly/MANIFEST.bz2: No such file or directory
File verification was good.
Optimizing manifest
grep: /var/usm/slackonly/MANIFEST: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/var/usm/slackonly/MANIFEST': No such file or directory
grep: /var/usm/slackonly/LIBS.TXT: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /var/usm/slackonly/LIBS.TXT: No such file or directory
grep: /var/usm/slackonly/LIBS.TXT: No such file or directory
sed: can't read /var/usm/slackonly/LIBS.TXT: No such file or directory
 slackonly  database updated. 
Here's my configuration file:

https://pastebin.com/rsayaT7q

That's all for now. Would just like to share my experience and in no way does this guarantee results nor do I claim expertise. All of this is from trial and error and trying to solve a problem I found trying to attempt something. Any help for the other points would be greatly appreciated!

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Flatpak installation

Post#3 by Ed_P » 20 Aug 2019, 15:21

:Bravo: I admire your persistence Alvice :good: and the sharing of your experience. :Bravo:
Ed