[Solved] How to move the .xzm to the modules folder

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
RavenEXP
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

[Solved] How to move the .xzm to the modules folder

Post#1 by RavenEXP » 09 Jun 2019, 08:51

I'm new to Linux and so I wanted a lite distro to run on a virtual machine. When I try to install a browser (or something else) the .xzm file is downloaded and activated, but it doesn't allow me to move it to the modules directory.

UPDATE:
First and foremost thanks for the responses from the user Ed_p and the devs Blaze and ncmprhnsbl.

My problem wasn't really a problem, but misunderstanding how Porteus works from my side.
The problem was caused because Porteus directly works from the iso file. And ISO files read only.

And basically that was the cause of all things.
Last edited by RavenEXP on 14 Jun 2019, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

How to move the .xzm to the modules folder

Post#2 by Ed_P » 09 Jun 2019, 13:27

Copy it to the modules directory. Don't move it. When you reboot the version in the /tmp directory will be deleted.

And welcome to Porteus RavenEXP. :)
Ed

RavenEXP
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by RavenEXP » 09 Jun 2019, 15:51

Ed_P wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 13:27
Copy it to the modules directory. Don't move it. When you reboot the version in the /tmp directory will be deleted.
I've tried copying with the GUI, but it throws an error saying that is a "Read only file system"
Should I do it with code, and if yes what is the command.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Ed_P » 09 Jun 2019, 17:54

This should work for you.

With the GUI's File Manager RIGHT click on the xzm file in /tmp then click on Copy. Then manipulate the File Manager to the /modules folder and RIGHT click on an empty space then click on Paste.

If you get the Read Only error again we need to look at where your /modules folder is located. You're not booting an ISO per chance are you? And if so that's fine, it's what I do.
Ed

RavenEXP
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by RavenEXP » 09 Jun 2019, 18:11

I found /modules folder to be in /mnt/sr0/porteus/modules
When go to this folder and right click the option to paste doesn't seem to work. The only way I can paste it is with Actions/Paste at
And what do you mean "booting an ISO per chance"? I load the ISO every time I start the Virtual Machine

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#6 by Blaze » 09 Jun 2019, 19:18

Hi RavenEXP,
If you are use VirtualBox - you are must to remaster your Porteus ISO by adding browser module to modules folder of this ISO.

Boot up Porteus in VirtualBox, open terminal and run these commands:

Code: Select all

su
toor
mkdir /tmp/my-custom-iso
cp -a /mnt/sr0/*  /tmp/my-custom-iso
# !!! copy your modules with root permissions to /tmp/my-custom-iso/porteus/modules
# and build a new iso
cd /tmp/my-custom-iso/porteus && ./make_iso.sh /tmp/porteus-custom.iso
Upload /tmp/porteus-custom.iso to any file share and sent the link on it to your email.
Download it. In VirtualBox change ISO file on the new porteus-custom.iso
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

RavenEXP
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by RavenEXP » 09 Jun 2019, 19:50

Blaze wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 19:18
If you are use VirtualBox - you are must to remaster your Porteus ISO by adding browser module to modules folder of this ISO.
I did all the tings you said, but are you telling me that if I want to add more modules I must re-write the ISO?

UPDATE: And why even folder for modules out of all things you can't paste. Wasn't the point of modules that they are easy to install and uninstall?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by Ed_P » 10 Jun 2019, 00:39

Hi RavenEXP,

I don't use VirtualBox so I'm not sure how one can customize a Porteus system to run in it. When I boot my ISOs I use grub2 and with it I can pass boot parms to Porteus to include modules in a modules folder outside of the ISO. The parm, called a cheatcode, that I use is named extramod=. Does VirtualBox support cheatcodes Blaze?
Ed

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#9 by ncmprhnsbl » 10 Jun 2019, 01:05

Ed_P wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 00:39
Does VirtualBox support cheatcodes
virtualbox is just a hardware emulator, it boots an ISO the same way a burnt cd is booted on real hardware.
and as such, you can't write to it, since the(virtual or real) cd is readonly.
there are a number of ways to go:
1. remaster the ISO with the extra modules included
2.make a virtual drive to:
a. install porteus to ("installed" porteus is still a "live" system)
or b. store extra modules (using the extramod= cheatcode or activate manually after boot)
3. do what Ed_P does and install a GRUB bootloader(or maybe can use sylinux?) , boot the ISO(most likely stored on the virtual drive) and use the extramod= cheatcode)

personally, i think choice 2a is the simplist..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

RavenEXP
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by RavenEXP » 10 Jun 2019, 05:23

ncmprhnsbl wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 01:05
Ed_P wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 00:39
Does VirtualBox support cheatcodes
2.make a virtual drive to:
a. install porteus to ("installed" porteus is still a "live" system)
Can you explain further what this means, because I understood as "Load an iso with the modules while porteus is running"

And I found that all system realted folders(directories) and files can't be edited nor override. Not even as "root" user. Can't some of the cheat codes that you suggested allow me to modify the system files without the need of remastering the iso?

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#11 by ncmprhnsbl » 10 Jun 2019, 08:22

RavenEXP wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 05:23
Can you explain further what this means, because I understood as "Load an iso with the modules while porteus is running"
ah well, i don't understand what "Load an iso with the modules while porteus is running" means .. :D
to expand on what i said:
"make a virtual drive to:" means, within virtualbox settings(before you boot anything), add a "virtual hard drive" to the virtual machine you are using, size of about 2 to 5 GB(depending on how much stuff you think you might want to add..)
next step: boot the porteus ISO (on the same virtual machine)
then: use gparted(in the system menu) to format the virtual hard drive to ext4
then: run the "porteus installer" (in the system menu)
then: reboot (actually shutdown the virtual machine, change the setting to boot from the virtual hard drive, then boot)
RavenEXP wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 05:23
And I found that all system realted folders(directories) and files can't be edited nor override. Not even as "root" user. Can't some of the cheat codes that you suggested allow me to modify the system files without the need of remastering the iso?
if by "system realted folders(directories)" you mean the ones on the ISO, then no.
because it is read only(as is the case with all ISOs)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

RavenEXP
White ninja
White ninja

Post#12 by RavenEXP » 10 Jun 2019, 15:07

Ok, I will admit I completely forgot the fact that iso is read only and Porteus's primary goal is to have portable Linux in a flash drive. And those two facts can resolve in the confusion that I was in.

My question is answered, and later this day or tomorrow I will close the ticket with the what I believe is the final conclusion.

Thanks for the help.