init: Id ´xi' respawning too fast [SOLVED]

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
straybit
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: VectorLinux

Post#1 by straybit » 12 May 2019, 19:18

Then, I have to wait 5 minutes till XFCE starts. If I try anything, it asks for password but says both ´toor' and ´guest´ are incorrect.
This is Porteus_4 on a linux formatted pendrive on a Compaq Presario Notebook. I´ve been working with this for a couple of weeks and this is the first time it has happened - in 3 boots!
Any idea what I need to change?
Last edited by straybit on 13 May 2019, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXDE

init: Id ´xi' respawning too fast

Post#2 by nanZor » 12 May 2019, 20:19

Some of us have been hit by that once in a blue moon.

What I'd suggest is to add a little more time to settle with this cheatcode:

delay=7

and possibly taking acpi out of the loop, but not turning it off completely:

noacpi

This is slightly different from totally turning it off with acpi=off, which in some cases won't allow hardware to come up at all. The docs say that these are the same, but for some reason I've noticed a difference.

You can test at the boot splash, perhaps using both delay=7 noacpi and if it works well, edit your porteus.cfg file to include them.
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

straybit
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: VectorLinux

Post#3 by straybit » 13 May 2019, 00:11

There is an old saying, ¨Put brain in gear before engaging mouth!" I need to substitute fingers! :oops:
After posting, I realized that the system shut down - not once, but twice - due to power cord not connected. I just rebooted without incident. :D
I´ḿ in the process of testing LibreOffice from the 3.2.2 version. I had issues with version 1.6 in Win10 that they said was corrected in 1.5! Will see!

EDIT: It didn't work: Activated OK; nothing happens when I try to run it; found that it wants to run oosplash - navigated to it in /bin (/usr/bin ??) and try to execute it in terminal
no such file or directory: oosplash
EDIT: Hm! Just found more major areas below - including one that has LibreOffice for x86_64. Sorry about this!