Luser groks the windows installer!

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#1 by nanZor » 21 Apr 2019, 06:10

Well, I finally got around to grok'ing the windows installer and had to laugh at myself for not getting it. Porteus truly made it easy, and docs are provided, but I goofed one major step over and over. Don't let this embarrasing moment happen to you.

Running Windows 10. Nothing else - no special archivers or anything.

1) Download the Porteus ISO image of your choice. Do an md5sum on it - windows utils available for that but I won't get into that now.

2) CD / DVD install: You know the routine - right click, burn disk image. Old school stuff. Go to town.

3) USB stick install:
I leave the stick out for now. Doubleclick ISO image. Windows will now open it, and auto-mount it as what looks like a DVD drive (D: in my case)

Insert usb stick. Windows automounted it as a normal drive E:

4) Drag all the files from Drive D: to Drive E:

5) Here is where I laughed. On DRIVE E. Drive E, my actual stick, DRIVE E: Again, DRIVE E:
Single click and highlight
Porteus-installer-for-Windows.exe
Right-click on it, and "Run as administrator"

Tada! My problem was that I was always running the installer exe from the wrong drive. You run it from the drive you copied the files to. I could have sworn I heard brokenman chuckling at my gaff. :)

Congrats - from here you can boot, but think twice about creating a "dat" file to save your stuff to when you boot it, and it throws up that notification.

PERSISTENCE / SAVE FILE:
I can't leave you hanging. After the first boot, use the Porteus Save-File Manager utility to create a savefile. Now that it is made, reboot before making any changes so the system knows to use it. But we also need to tell it where to find that file now that it is made! Sometimes that can change but for now ...

The supreme flexibility of Porteus means you either quickie-edit the temporary boot stanza (hit TAB to enter temporary boot cheatcodes before it times out), and use the left/right keys to edit the default for changes to read: [your actual mounted sdXx device may be different than mine]

changes=/mnt/sdb1/porteussave.dat

If you want to make this permanent, manually edit (as root-toor) the

/mnt/sdb1/boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg

and put the changes= line shown above at the end of the APPEND line the graphics section. Don't do this to the Always Fresh section obviously. You may want to do this at the Copy To Ram and Text Only sections if you like.
Last edited by nanZor on 01 May 2019, 09:53, edited 4 times in total.
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#2 by francois » 21 Apr 2019, 11:57

This is a great howto for newcomers. Maybe it could be retitled as such and placed in the appropriate subsection. What do you think? :worship:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#3 by nanZor » 01 May 2019, 10:01

I edited it to try and shorten it up, and leave out some of the more advanced stuff so be sure to read it again.

Heh, I'm a bad writer, and no expert at Porteus. But if anyone feels it is good enough, and not just repeating the faqs, do what you please...

My big worry is that this is what works on my Windows 10 box - but may be frustrating if another user's windows acts differently...
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#4 by francois » 01 May 2019, 18:22

We have an old look at the process. This means that there are things we do no see no more. You english is better than mine for sure. We will see what the user think.

Thanks.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.