How do you move a firefox file to a module?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Linux.Blue
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: LinuxMint

Post#1 by Linux.Blue » 16 Mar 2019, 18:26

Hello!

I am not sure what module means when it comes to installing firefox. It also talks about rebooting my computer but this is a live CD.

Ive been installing a lot of distros, trying to find the right one. So, can I get firefox installed and tested?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 16 Mar 2019, 19:15

Hello Linux.Blue. Welcome to Porteus.

A couple of questions for you, what version of Porteus are you trying? And are you running it from a CD or a flash drive? Does it have Internet connectivity?

Porteus is a modular system, it doesn't require installs. Rather one downloads a module which consists of an app, and all it's dependencies, and activates it. For Firefox go to the Porteus menu's section and click on the Browser Selection option. A window will open, you select Firefox and follow the prompts.

Let us know if you have other questions.
Ed

Linux.Blue
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by Linux.Blue » 16 Mar 2019, 21:22

Thanks for the welcome.

I downloaded 4.0. The iso image is on a CD.
It does and is connected to a computer.

It says to find the firefox file in /tmp/ which i did, but to put it in a module. That i don't understand. I just know how to install stuff using the Synaptic Package Manager.

Is this how installing other files will go, likd k3b, audacity, easytag, etc..?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Ed_P » 16 Mar 2019, 22:05

Well, a CD is a non-writable media so adding anything to it is going to require a writable media. You can store your modules in a folder on your hard drive and when you reboot the CD manually reactive the ones you want to use. A better option is to use the CD to install Porteus to a writable media like your hard drive or to a USB flash drive. Then when you add modules you store them in the /porteus/modules/ folder and they are activated automatically when you boot it. There is also an option to boot the ISO directly but we'll pass on that for the moment.

To add other apps you use Porteus's USM (Unified Slackware package Manager) function. Menu > Administration > USM

Do notice I don't use the word install. You don't install apps in Porteus, you add modules containing the apps. :)

BTW What is the name of the ISO you downloaded? That way we will know which desktop you are using.
Ed

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 16 Mar 2019, 22:07

Linux.Blue wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 21:22
It says to find the firefox file in /tmp/ which i did, but to put it in a module.
the firefox*.xzm "file" in /tmp is a module(anything with a .xzm suffix is a module), and the message is to move it to the "modules folder", which is only relevant if you've made a frugal installation to usb flash or hard drive. (modules folder in that case would be /mnt/<install location>/porteus/modules)..
since you're running from an ISO, you need to move the module(firefox*.xzm) from /tmp to some place where you can find it later, ie on your hard drive or a usb flash drive.(it must be outside the live system or you will lose it)
to use a module, (double)click on it in your file manager(or rightclick and choose "activate")
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Linux.Blue
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by Linux.Blue » 16 Mar 2019, 23:25

Sorry for not using quotes, but i am only able to use a phone so i have such a small box to text.

I see a file that says porteus-v4.0-x86_64. J also see KDE.

I found the firefox file and tried to copy it over, but gave me some memory too full error.
I may try a USB for now. Never done it, but shows a txt file on the disc.

So is a module basically the whole app on one file, rather than the apps files all over the place?

Ive been linux hopping since LinuxMint stopped KDE support and was told my computer is a bit weak for KDE.
Ive been cursed with so many distros giving me some sort of problem, or I just dont like the design.
This is myfavorite so far, and hope I can work this out.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Ed_P » 16 Mar 2019, 23:45

Linux.Blue wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 23:25
I see a file that says porteus-v4.0-x86_64. J also see KDE.
OK :good:
I found the firefox file and tried to copy it over, but gave me some memory too full error.
Tried to copy it where? If /home/guest/ or a subfolder they are all running in memory.
So is a module basically the whole app on one file, rather than the apps files all over the place?
Yup. You're catching on Linux.Blue. :)
This is myfavorite so far, and hope I can work this out.
And we hope it stays that way. :beer:
Ed

Linux.Blue
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by Linux.Blue » 16 Mar 2019, 23:56

I think i installed it on a USB. Im not sure. It says im a guest still, but running a lot faster than it was on a CD.

I think it was in /mnt/ as it was stated from ncmprhnsbl.

I copied it to the module folder on my usb, clicked on it, activated it and it works :)

Its unique doing this, but i like unique. It may be why I ditched Windows years ago.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Ed_P » 17 Mar 2019, 00:32

Linux.Blue wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 23:56
I think i installed it on a USB. Im not sure.
If you can boot it it's installed. :happy62:
It says im a guest still,
Yup, that's the default signin. And a safe approach.
but running a lot faster than it was on a CD.
:Yahoo!:

What format is the USB drive? If FAT32 or exFAT you will be interested in saving config changes at some point. For that check out the Menu > Administration > Porteus Save File Manager. ;)
Ed

Linux.Blue
White ninja
White ninja

Post#10 by Linux.Blue » 17 Mar 2019, 00:53

Thanks to you, I can finally type this on a computer rather than my phone :)

My USB is FAT32. I found the Save File Manager, but unclear on things.
First of all, what am I saving? Is this automatic afterwards before I turn off the computer?

I never saw a linux distro installed on anything within a few seconds. It asked if it was ok to put it on the USB, and it was done within a matter of a few seconds.

If you prefer me to open a different topic for more questions, I understand. Unless you see this as "getting me started".
One of the problems I came across is using USM. I wanted K3b, but it kept popping up "More than one package contains (file name).
I just clicked on whatever, and at the end it failed. It gave me some error message I don't remember.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by Ed_P » 17 Mar 2019, 03:20

Linux.Blue wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 00:53
My USB is FAT32. I found the Save File Manager, but unclear on things.
First of all, what am I saving? Is this automatic afterwards before I turn off the computer?
You're saving changes you make to the system. The wallpaper, Firefox bookmarks, desktop icons, etc. Plus changes the system makes, like caches. Once set it saves changes as they occur which while convenient can slow the system a bit. I use the changes=EXIT cheatcode which results in changes only being saved when shutting down.
If you prefer me to open a different topic for more questions, I understand. Unless you see this as "getting me started".
Probably a good idea not that the opening problem appears resolved. :) I'm sure you will have more save changes question.
One of the problems I came across is using USM. I wanted K3b, but it kept popping up "More than one package contains (file name).
I just clicked on whatever, and at the end it failed. It gave me some error message I don't remember.
Yup, I understand. It happens. I don't know a simple solution other than try selecting different packages next time.
Ed

Linux.Blue
White ninja
White ninja

Post#12 by Linux.Blue » 17 Mar 2019, 04:17

One more question here if you dont mind.
I tried installing Porteus on my hd but it didnt seem to work. Minus where i told it to install, which partition, looked all the same.
But during reboot, it was set to load up my previous distro.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by Ed_P » 17 Mar 2019, 04:52

I've never installed Porteus to a hard drive so I'm not much help. Are you planning to boot different systems on the hard drive? If so what are you using as your boot loader?
Ed

Linux.Blue
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by Linux.Blue » 17 Mar 2019, 12:47

Ive heard horror stories of flash drives failing as they are not as good as a HD. Makes sense.
Read a bit of it when needing space for my Wii U.

Linux.Blue
White ninja
White ninja

Post#15 by Linux.Blue » 17 Mar 2019, 19:55

How do I continue to save the configurations? It only asks for new, resize the memory, recover and encrypt.