Install Porteus on SD card

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
user0815
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: CINNAMON-v4.0-x86_64

Post#76 by user0815 » 12 Mar 2019, 17:42

beny wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:38
i suppose if you use the linux installer your environment is linux,slax remix when the card reader is a multi card reader do not boot
I am using porteus itself to linux install on other drive.
beny wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 17:38
or try nemesis
ok, sounds interesting. You mean its latest version can be found here?
Re: 2018 Updated Nemesis Base Modules (Post by neko #68119)
using CINNAMON-v4.0-x86_64 with updated kernel porteus-4.16.8

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#77 by beny » 12 Mar 2019, 17:45

or you have a boot option key that show the devices,maybe the sd card is here
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8tjvi327l ... x86_64.iso this is the last one i think,but neko can answer you

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Post#78 by neko » 18 Mar 2019, 16:32

@jssouza, @Ed_P, @ncmprhnsbl, @beny, @raja, @wread, @donald

"Would it be possible to make CONFIG_MFD_RTSX_PCI=y in the kernel?"
--->
At Kernel 4.16, 4.17,.., 5.0.2 in order to boot from Realtek PCI-E Memory Card Reader Driver,
These kernel config paramaters must be set 'y'.

CONFIG_MISC_RTSX=y
CONFIG_MISC_RTSX_PCI=y
CONFIG_MMC_REALTEK_PCI=y

It was researched by @user0815.
refer to Porteus Kernel Builder (Post by user0815 #70183)

Thanks.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#79 by Ed_P » 18 Mar 2019, 18:44

Unfortunately neko those parameters do not appear to be universally effective.
user0815 wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 15:39
However, the new iso that can now boot from the micro SD card (with adapter), cannot boot from another SD card.
Ed

user0815
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#80 by user0815 » 18 Mar 2019, 20:01

Ed_P wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 18:44
Unfortunately neko those parameters do not appear to be universally effective.
Possibly (and hopefully) it is the fault of the sd card. it was a cheap giveaway for marketing. I am thinking to buy a new one, one of those fast UHS-2 cards. The problem is, I don’t know for sure if it will work with porteus v4 and later, those cards are quite expensive, and I don’t think I can return it.

user0815
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#81 by user0815 » 20 Mar 2019, 03:30

Tested with a standard UHS-1 SD-card from Kingston, and it works, booted successfully. :Yahoo!:
Next test will be with one of the fast UHS-2 SD.

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#82 by nanZor » 16 Apr 2019, 22:01

Some useful tools I use when starting out to ensure a clean slate - or when the cards have been formatted by different things getting crufty enough that they aren't even recognized, causing troubles etc:

Get the formatter from the guys who wrote the specs for the rest of the industry - the SD Associaton. So there *is* a reason to keep that windows box around. I even use it from time to time on usb-sticks too.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Fake Flash? You bet. Lots of it online. I usually buy from a reputable dealer, but still, I will spot-check multi-purchases with F3 in unix:

https://github.com/AltraMayor/f3

Quick link to the latest code which you have to compile (I didn't see F3 on any of the slack* repos)
https://github.com/AltraMayor/f3/releases

And of course usage. Lots of tutorials online, but this has worked for me:

https://fight-flash-fraud.readthedocs.i ... and-f3read

And if you are a true windows-slacker, Porteus flashed with the RUFUS utility makes it quick and simple:
https://rufus.ie/

From a windows perspective, I like it because while previously formatted sticks with ext4 etc won't be recognized by windows proper, Rufus will, and not complain so you can reflash no problem. Properly cleans out the old formatting cruft, allows for distinct GPT or MBR partitioning schemes, and much more. I've had no problem using Rufus to generate a boot stick with Porteus on a wide variety of hardware on downloaded iso images.

Ok, so it's not the canonical official way. I've had zero problems with it and Porteus.
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth

nanZor
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.01 x86-64 LXQT

Post#83 by nanZor » 17 Apr 2019, 20:56

Just so nobody gets the wrong impression ---

Porteus' very own Live-Usb creator works fine. Thanks for making that part of the image itself.

My use of Rufus is just a possible alternative for those who have NO other linux boxes around, and for whatever reason, the windows exe installer inside the Porteus image doesn't work for you and need to demonstrate and give a stick of Porteus to your boss at work, like immediately. :)

Once up, you can rely on the built-in live usb creator and leave your windows boxes behind...

Boss calls me: Hey nanZor, corporate says I need to learn linux, and I know it's your day off but, how do I get that Slynoox thing you were playing with at lunch?

Me: Ok, download the iso [and after a bit of insruction on where the -any- key is and so forth] the install doesn't complete due to some funky windows hardware .... ok, don't freak out. What usb stick are you using?

Boss: I found one in the toolbox labeled "Company picnic 2004 / Vista backup" . That swively cover just fell off it.

Me: ok, lets download another utility called Rufus - [and after a small instruction on GPT vs MBR] - we're good.

Boss: I just went into the machine room and rebooted the box labeled "Oracle server node 7", and it works! How does corporate know and why are all the phones ringing?

Me: Yeah, we'll talk about that later. :)
That's a UNIX book - cool. -Garth