porteus.cfg & stuff on other partition

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
jan6
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: v4.0-x86_64

Post#1 by jan6 » 27 Oct 2018, 14:16

• what is the difference between /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg and /porteus/porteus-v4.0-x86_64.cfg ?
  • is there a way to have modules also loaded from another partition, like the changes ?
  • is there a way to specify another partition on the same stick, without hard-confing changes=/dev/sdb2 ? (the amount of drives on the system may vary, maybe there's no internal drive, maybe there's three, maybe another stick gets detected first)

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 27 Oct 2018, 16:24

jan6 wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 14:16
[*] is there a way to have modules also loaded from another partition, like the changes ?
Yes. The extramod= works great for just that situation.
jan6 wrote:
[*] is there a way to specify another partition on the same stick, without hard-confing changes=/dev/sdb2 ? (the amount of drives on the system may vary, maybe there's no internal drive, maybe there's three, maybe another stick gets detected first)

I was thinking you could use a UUID but not sure if a UUID is device based or partition based. I never partition USB drives since Windows only recognizes the 1st partition.
jan6 wrote:
[*] what is the difference between /boot/syslinux/porteus.cfg and /porteus/porteus-v4.0-x86_64.cfg ?
As for the .cfg files I'm not sure. They both take the same cheatcodes ttbomk. I believe the new one allows for one set of changes across multiple DEs.
Ed