GPARTED use

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Don604
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: none

GPARTED use

Post#1 by Don604 » 12 Aug 2018, 21:24

Hi

Every time I want to restart my install, it seems that I have to use a Windows boot USB to blow away the ext4 partition to get things to clean up. The partition on sda1 seems locked and won't let me nuke it.

Any suggestions on how to do that using the USB-stick version of Porteus (3.1, 3.2.2) so that I can start using it without relying on Windows. What I'm doing seems so very, very wrong.

Thanks! Don

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

GPARTED use

Post#2 by brokenman » 12 Aug 2018, 22:29

Could it be that you are booting from the device that you want to install to?

You should boot using copy2ram in order to be able to nuke the drive that you booted from. If this is not your problem, please try to describe the process in more detail.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Don604
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: none

GPARTED use

Post#3 by Don604 » 12 Aug 2018, 23:19

I am booting from the USB stick. No confusion as I had 3.2.2 on the SSD and 3.1 on the USB, and there was no way to nuke the partitions. The desktop wallpaper clearly differentiate the two versions too.

GPARTED is part of that boot image, so downloading it again is confusing.

What I do is use WIndows to delete the partitions. Then, I boot up using USB, then run Porteus Install once up. It requires me to run GPARTED to define partitions, then to mount them once formatted. Then Porteus loads to SSD and sets up to boot to it. Then I reset the system to go live on the SSD.

If I subsequently want to have a clean slate (>6 times today as I figure out Porteus), if I boot up with USB, then I cannot use GPARTED to delete the partitions on the SSD. They have a padlock displayed. Yes, I can install over it, but I have to do it clean because Porteus gets to the point where it fails to log in at all with 3.2.2. I think it has to do with running out of memory so now I create a swap partition too. Prior, I'd given all 3.9GB to main system use. Not being able to log in is a real motivator to get things figured out, and it leads to cleaning the system off again.

Sure I could use MC in text mode to move xzm files out of the Modules folder, but I haven't done that as I keep forgetting to go into text mode to do it. If I go graphical, the login is totally disabled and it happens automagically.

Thanks! Don

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

GPARTED use

Post#4 by donald » 13 Aug 2018, 00:55

@ Don604

Once you are happy with the partition layout it is not necessary
to (re) install porteus again and again.

a) you can boot in "always fresh" mode, which does only load the base modules,
none of your settings or modules in the modules folder are loaded.
You can now move modules or clean your settings (changes).

b) partitions have to be unmounted if you want to change/delete them.
Do not unmount the partition you booted from!!!
If you want to delete the boot partition, boot in "copy2ram" mode
which will free up the boot media so you can alter its partitions.

Remember, the system is created new, everytime you boot up.
As long as you have not altered the basic modules, nothing has changed on the system.
Delete your changes folder/file, move the modules out of the modules folder
and you have a fresh system. B)