creating bootable usb LinuxLite in Porteus

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
Tom
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus-LXQT-v4.0-x86_64

Post#1 by Tom » 01 Aug 2018, 07:19

Hello,
sorry to disturb again but having trouble!

I need to reinstall LinuxLite on hd due to non booting.
I have a usb with Porteus on
I also have external usb hd

what I thought should work, not capable to dd in terminal an so on, install uninetboot on my live Porteus then;
1. create a partition X on external usb hd, done
2. install uninetboot on Porteus, done
3. boot Porteus in RAM
4. run uninetboot and create a bootable usb, the one with Porteus, using iso Lite that I have on external hd as source and usb Porteus as output, that would be then Lite!
5. boot from ex porteus, now Lite and reinstall Lite on internal hd

Now, despite that my thought most certainly are wrong, new and not capable, I can see uninetboot in the menu of porteus bu wont open.
porteus is 4.0
usb 8 Gb
ext hd 1Tb
int hd 32 Gb

thanks in advanced
Tom, Rome Italy

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 01 Aug 2018, 09:48

what's uninetboot and where did you get it?
or do you mean unetbootin? if so, sounds like a missing dependency, possibly qt4..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Tom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by Tom » 01 Aug 2018, 10:18

Thaks for your time ncmprhnsbl, sorry unetboot. Ok I will try to reinstall it and look after the dependency qt4..

Tom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by Tom » 01 Aug 2018, 11:19

doesn't work. I reinstalled from usm, updating both usm and all databases. downloaded, saying yes to all the dependency questions. In the end selecting only unebootin. Conversion and activating the package. This time it doesn't even show up in the menu. Is there a way of installing my iso LinuxLite via terminal to internal hd that someone can walk me through, step by step in order to allow me to be able to follow?

I realize that this is asking for much but not being able to work is somewhat frustrating...

thanks again for your precious time guys!
Tom

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 01 Aug 2018, 12:30

if you try to run unetbootin in a terminal(ie open a terminal and typ
Tom wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 11:19
Is there a way of installing my iso LinuxLite via terminal to internal hd that someone can walk me through, step by step in order to allow me to be able to follow?
linux lite has a nice guide using dd : https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/inst ... ldvdusbosx
not sure i could explain it any better.. feel free to ask if you're unsure.. the trick is identifying the drives correctly
interestingly they mention etcher , another image writer https://etcher.io/ which might suit your purposes..
one thing i would do, would be to backup your existing porteus installation(copy the files on the usb to a folder somewhere) so you can restore it once you're done, without having to go through the installation process again..
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Tom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by Tom » 01 Aug 2018, 12:49

thanks , grazie di cuore, soo much ncmprhnsbl! Promise not to take your time again..this week! Cheers!

T

Tom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by Tom » 01 Aug 2018, 13:51

Solved! etcher works marvelously and with Portesus it's a glance to start. Lite has explained very well how but I burned the iso, that I had on ext hd, directly to the usb where Porteus was sitting, It was loaded into RAM. That went fine but risky. Re-boot and that was the end of my nightmare. Learnings: excellent support and timely from ncmprhnsbl, spot on!

The story with the download manager that needs up date, selecting and un-selecting and in the end doesn't work, at least for me, can be done better I suppose?

Porteus a special and fascinating world that saved me!

ncmprhnsbl, if ever in Rome let me know, I owe you one. You have my mail I suppose!

Tom

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#8 by Ed_P » 01 Aug 2018, 19:23

Curious Tom, why didn't you use the LinuxLite forums for help? https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/inst ... inux-lite/ :%) And why not stay with Porteus? :unknown:

Not that we're not happy you joined us or that we were able to help. :)
Ed

Tom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by Tom » 05 Aug 2018, 10:47

Hi Ed,

I have Porteus on a usb stick for safety reasons. I guess this pointed me to ask the Porteus forum. After all, I had a road map to solve the problem, using Porteus. Is that too simple for an answer? I could have asked Lite or Porteus. Its 50/50 weight isnt it? Neither of them can be classified as "strange", same level.

Unless you consider that the reason of asking wasn't the Lite breakdown but USM malfunction, during my use I must say, in sense that it did not deliver what its supposed to do: install UNetbootin in Porteus. That's what slack is all about I would have thought: do not bug down your system with app you do not need. Install them when you need them. If the installation process does not work seamless for someone like me, then the mission of the project is less or for a restricted number of user, which is a shame for a nice mission and project like Porteus! There is also economics of scale of more people using your browsed as you kindly ask for and as I try to do whenever in Porteus.

Why not stay...I did have problems with LibreOffice, could not install it using USM. In my work I use Office, mail, pdf in 90% of work time. I try to dedicate as little time as possible on the means I am using. I must admit that I like the people that work with Porteus, you guys, and the speed, I often have 120 plus pages in ppt and huge spread sheets i would love your speed instead of Lite's

I will stay with Porteus, as back up solution and trouble solver for the time I think.

kind regards
Tom