keeping same environment in graphical and text mode

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
port
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Linux porteus 3.2.2 KDE

keeping same environment in graphical and text mode

Post#1 by port » 16 Apr 2018, 09:22

I'm writing this because of it may be helpful to newbies coming to Porteus.

This messages applies to people using "changes" directory where you record somewhere (usually a path in boot disk) changes made in your system. Specifically you keep changes in your home directory specially configuration changes such as .bashrc

Usually you start porteus as default graphical mode and very seldom you start porteus as text mode, but if you try to start it in text mode you will see nothing works as usual (keyboard map, aliases, functions...). This is because Graphical boot option in boot menu includes a "changes" parameter to the kernel identifying the location to save your changes, but this parameter is not present in text boot option, thus, all your changes are gone.

The solution to keep your environment the same whatever boot option you choose (graphical or text) is to edit porteus boot menu configuration file (porteus.cfg) and add the changes parameter to text boot menu option (and whatever other options you want) , so instead of this:

Code: Select all

LABEL text
MENU LABEL Text mode
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND inirtd=inirtd.zx 3
you write this one:

Code: Select all

LABEL text
MENU LABEL Text mode
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND inirtd=inirtd.zx 3 changes=/porteus
and from now you have the same environment regarding your changes in graphical and text mode

You may need to include in your changes configuration only used in console mode, such as keyboard mapping

I don't know why it's not the default option for text mode to include changes option, I think it should be