Firefox Developer Edition?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
yldouright
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus (slackware 12.1)

Post#1 by yldouright » 20 Mar 2018, 11:17

On Porteus 3.2.x, entering update-firefox[ in the terminal will retrieve and install either the latest beta or latest stable release of Quantum Firefox but what is the codeline to get the "Developer Edition"?

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#2 by ncmprhnsbl » 20 Mar 2018, 12:32

the procedure is to first download the developer tarball(.tar.bz2) and place it in /tmp, then run update-firefox. it will use it to make a module
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

yldouright
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#3 by yldouright » 20 Mar 2018, 12:57

@ncmprhsbl
Thanks, do I need to unpack the .bz2 to a folder first? Will this work if it's in the /tmp/usm or any other directory?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 20 Mar 2018, 14:25

As ncmprhsbl said "download the developer tarball(.tar.bz2) and place it in /tmp". No unpacking, no other directory. If you want to try different steps try them and report your results. :)
Ed

yldouright
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by yldouright » 20 Mar 2018, 19:39

@Ed_P
I know, I'm a bit rudimentary but I like to minimize surprises. My experience:
Unpacking and building a module from the folder results in an inaccessible Firefox even after you place it in the modules folder and activate it. If you have your USM configured with 'make modules from downloads' unchecked, as I do, then installing directly from from the .bz2 fails. What worked for me is placing the .bz2 file in the /tmp directory and running the update-firefox command but not letting it create the module. Once I had the .tzx, I converted it with the USM:Porteus tools and placed it in the modules folder and activated it. It seems a bit pokey in Cinnamon with a 64bit capable 3GHz P4 and 1GB of RAM. Has anyone tried the Brave browser with Porteus?

bour59
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: porteus v5.0-xfce K5.19.7

Post#6 by bour59 » 20 Mar 2018, 20:57

excellent to have firefox in french or other languages . thanks

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Ed_P » 20 Mar 2018, 21:13

Speaking of surprises.
yldouright wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 19:39
What worked for me is placing the .bz2 file in the /tmp directory and running the update-firefox command but not letting it create the module. Once I had the .tzx, I converted it with the USM:Porteus tools and placed it in the modules folder and activated it.
You are working WAY too hard at this. update-firefox modules work for me as do USM ones. And ones I create of my system changes. I don't know how, or why, you are downloading files, unpacking them and then manually building a module but that approach obviously doesn't work for you. You're doing something wrong. Let the proven apps, update-firefox and USM do the work for you and if you experience a problem with them report it so it can be fixed.
Ed

yldouright
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by yldouright » 21 Mar 2018, 02:47

@Ed_P
You're right, I'm struggling and I shouldn't be. It looks like the problem I've been having with USM and my network connections are hardware related. I have a weird situation on an old Dell E310 (64bit P4 1GB RAM). When I did the installation of 3.2.2 Cinnamon on this box, I had a LAN card in it with it under my WiFi. I took it out later because the Network Manager bound itself to it and I was dropping my WiFi connection intermittantly. When I clicked the network icon on the lower right corner of the display, I saw two wifi networks. Running lspci confirms the card is physically removed but the OS still possibly sees it as a cloned card. Have a look here to see what I'm talking about. There are two WiFi connections but only one WiFi card! Note that the active connection switches from top to bottom randomly and when that happens the connection drops.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Ed_P » 21 Mar 2018, 04:47

:hmmm: In your Network Settings check that your Network Proxy is set to none.

Try turning off the two WiFi entries and then the Wireless one, rebooting then turn on just the Wireless one. What do you see in the Network window?

You mentioned that the top connection drops and connects to the bottom one, make sure, if possible, that the bottom one isn't configured as an Auto Connect.

If those efforts fail, there are 4 network related directories/files that I backup:

Code: Select all

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/*  
/var/run/NetworkManager/* 
/var/lib/dhcpcd/*                
/etc/hosts                          
You could try renaming one or more of them and rebooting to see if the system creates a new network setup based on your current hardware.
Ed

yldouright
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#10 by yldouright » 21 Mar 2018, 06:47

@Ed_P
The Proxy setting in the network dialog indicates "None". I deleted both network connections in the "Network Connections" preference dialog and rebooted the machine. After the reboot, I checked the Network Preferences and there are still two entries:
Wifi (indicated as wlan0) and
Wifi (indicated as eth0)
There is no option to remove/disable any card in the "Network" dialog, how would I rename the interfaces? The "Network Connections" dialog is now empty, as expected. This is above my head.

As an aside, does Firefox-DE make use of Hyperthreading with its multi process engine or does it need real cores? It would seem logical that something like rastering pages would be quite suitable for what Hyperthreading does best but I don't know enough about the archetecture to say either way. If it does, I would set the Performance Preferences in Firefox to "2 processes" for a P4 with Hyperthreading. Does the new engine also offload to GPUs?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by Ed_P » 21 Mar 2018, 15:49

yldouright wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 06:47
Wifi (indicated as eth0)
There is no option to remove/disable any card in the "Network" dialog, how would I rename the interfaces? The "Network Connections" dialog is now empty, as expected. This is above my head.
Weird. And unfortunately above my head too at this point. Sorry.

Hopefully someone with more technical experience with networking will offer some help.
As an aside, does Firefox-DE make use of Hyperthreading with its multi process engine or does it need real cores?
No idea. Sorry.
Ed

yldouright
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#12 by yldouright » 21 Mar 2018, 16:15

Further probing with ifconfig -a reveals both interfaces use the same MAC. It seems like my wifi card has an unspecified MAC address or its in permanently promiscous mode. Firefox runs faster with 2 processes instead of the default 4 in the 'perfromance prefs' for my P4. I note no improvement selecting 3 processes so on my machine, which uses the onboard Intel 810 chipset, the GPU is probably not referenced by Firefox.

jssouza
Legendary
Legendary
Distribution: Porteus x86 arm

Post#13 by jssouza » 22 Mar 2018, 20:52

yldouright, starting from the basics, do have a persistence configured, What happens if you boot in AF mode?