[Open] Java problems / [Solved] 64/32bit

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
IronBombom
White ninja
White ninja

[Open] Java problems / [Solved] 64/32bit

Post#1 by IronBombom » 11 Aug 2011, 05:10

Hello, I have a USB module with a HDD test that runs using Java. The Portable os boots on about 80% of the machines and HDD test finds HDD about 75% time. This is not on the same machine.

I've tried getting various Java modules, there aren't many and some will not work at all. For what reason I do not know.
The old java module name is 742-jre-6u11-i586-1pst.lzm, the module is from Slax system, after replacing it with a new module some functions in the application stoped working.
Are there old functions that stop working due to updated java or can this be some interface in linux update causing problems?
+ Normaly HDD scan shows up with options for Full scan, complete test and a hdd. On newer versions of linux the HDD wont show up. But I think this is because something missing in java module or interface. But for some reson when using a newer java update the HDD with the Full scan option will not show up on some machines using a newer version of linux.
* Kernel related?
* Interface system related?
* Java module related?

I installed the hddtest application on a Porteus system, it wouldnt auto run but I browsed and started it. Using the only java module I found it worked, but the same problem remained. It doesn't liste the harddrive.

In addition to above,
is it possible to make a bootable that boots in 64 and 32 using the same USB key. It simply picks modules and such for 64 bit in case it notices the CPU is 64 bit?
[Solved] - Detecting what kernel to use is too advanced, by the time it is possible to detect the CPU bit interface the kernel is already loaded. But using 32 bit is recomended because it can run on both 32 and 64. Thank you fanthom

Unfortunately I am not allowed to share the HDD test java-files, but I can share the java-module used on the working keys. Problem with this is that it is on a Slax 2.1.1 USB Bootable that wont work on some machines for unkown reasons.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d0etqfkd8sm3gz7 Java module.

thanks, sorry for the trouble. I'm not used to linux.
Last edited by IronBombom on 12 Aug 2011, 06:44, edited 2 times in total.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: 64/32bit / Java problems.

Post#2 by fanthom » 11 Aug 2011, 08:48

Welcome on board IronBombom,

1)

Code: Select all

is it possible to make a bootable that boots in 64 and 32 using the same USB key. It simply picks modules and such for 64 bit in case it notices the CPU is 64 bit? 
unfortunately automatic selection is not possible. let me explain in short words - the booting queue looks like that:
a) bootloader (syslinux, lilo, grub, etc...)
b) kernel
c) initrd
at initrd stage, linuxrc script would be able to recognize the CPU but it would be too late for swapping the kernel which is already initialized. recognition have to be performed by the bootloader and as far as i know they are not advanced that much to complete the task.
in your case i would focus on 32bit edition which is able to boot on both: 32 and 64bit CPU's.

2)

Are there old functions that stop working due to updated java or can this be some interface in linux update causing problems?
it could be both reasons.
if you care about one application only then i would use the most compatible java version and forget about upgrading. if the old java does not work correctly with newer Porteus userland then you must go back to Slax i'm afraid.

The best scenario would be to use latest java from slackware-13.37 and update code of your HD testing application to reflect new environment. I understand that this may be not possible....

my advice:
use Porteus 32bit edition with old java module. if that wont work then you have no choice than go back to most suitable env which is Slax.

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

IronBombom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by IronBombom » 11 Aug 2011, 10:13

Thank you very much for the reply fanthom, I'm thankful for your welcoming and the support.
I'll try what you suggested. The problem with the 2.1.1 version Slax is that on some of the newer machine it will not boot. It gets stuck at some point during boot up. If I see the error again I will get a picture of it if that is of any assistance.
I imagine there may be some library update of some sort that may enable boot up on these machines.
Is it possible to somehow convert or fix a module to be compatible?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#4 by fanthom » 11 Aug 2011, 14:11

@IronBombom

yes - use 'lzm2xzm' tool (in terminal) or just double click on 742-jre-6u11-i586-1pst.lzm and you will be prompted for conversion.
conversion from Slax modules gonna work for 32bit Porteus edition only as Slax is also 32bit.

IronBombom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by IronBombom » 12 Aug 2011, 06:23

fanthom wrote:@IronBombom

yes - use 'lzm2xzm' tool (in terminal) or just double click on 742-jre-6u11-i586-1pst.lzm and you will be prompted for conversion.
conversion from Slax modules gonna work for 32bit Porteus edition only as Slax is also 32bit.
converted the module, starts the program but doesn't seem to be java related problem. The interface will not load the HDD into the test interface. On some machines it would load but not show till you click the little square in the upper left corner of the windows then click where you think the test should be appearing. This square wasn't there on the on Slax 2.1.1.

I later noticed that the os loged on to guest account by default, will change that due to that the test app is on root.
- Is desktop kernel-emulation like dosbox or such possible?
- Any way to switch kernel and try and see if it works in another one, or is this hard?
- Errors occur on when trying to open the converted 742*.lzm "Some error occured when activating module" but other modules seem to work. Possible that the module is bad itself. But it is 24 mb.

I am trying to convert all modules to see if the interface starts working, but I believe it is not java related but somethign to do with a newer version of kernel or interface modules used. If that is a two in one pack I am not sure, possible that adding some interface module may activate old functions thus allowing the interface to render?

[update]
09 28 am, 12 08 2011 : I've converted quite a few modules, eventually I converted desktop.lzm and the computer lost connection to the USB device and after rebooting there was no interface any more. Will re-add that module, and when converting I'll rather make a copy of it then convert and reactivate it.
09 42 am, 12 08 2011 : 3-003-desktop.xzm is activated but there is no interface even so. I assume some LZM have to exist in the folder or the module is clashing with modules in /base/ folder.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: [Open] Java problems / [Solved] 64/32bit

Post#6 by fanthom » 12 Aug 2011, 08:58

- Is desktop kernel-emulation like dosbox or such possible?
you could use Virtualbox under Porteus to virtualize Slax 2.1.1 (are you sure it's slax 2.1.1 and not 6.1.2? lzm suffix was used in Slax 6.x afaik) and then attach real HD to virtual session and perform your tests in the virtual environment. Performance (and reliability) may suffer with this tricky solution.
here is the command for mapping real hd as a virtual one:

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename realHDmap.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdb
just change /dev/sdb to your HD drive letter and add realHDmap.vmdk to Vbox profile.
- Any way to switch kernel and try and see if it works in another one, or is this hard?
it's hard as squashfs version and compression changed a lot between kernel releases.
- Errors occur on when trying to open the converted 742*.lzm "Some error occured when activating module" but other modules seem to work. Possible that the module is bad itself. But it is 24 mb.
i'm at work now so can convert this module myself.
Hamza - could you convert http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d0etqfkd8sm3gz7 Java module from sq3 lzm to xzm and upload it somewhere, please.
I've converted quite a few modules, eventually I converted desktop.lzm and the computer lost connection to the USB device and after rebooting there was no interface any more.
you can try to convert all /slax/base/*.lzm to xzm and replace original /porteus/base modules with them except of 000-kernel.xzm (this moduel contains kernel drivers). not sure if this is going to work.

Also: switch to root account and check if that makes any difference.

Cheers

IronBombom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by IronBombom » 12 Aug 2011, 10:01

Thank you a big bunch fanthom, I am not yet done with all changes and such but I'll continue on monday.
Have a good friday and a good weekend.
I will return monday to try out some of suggested solutions.
Cheers

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#8 by Hamza » 12 Aug 2011, 16:26

Hi,

As fanthom requested, I converted the Java's Module from Squashfs3 format to Squashfs4 format (compatible Porteus).

Download it at here

Cheers!
NjVFQzY2Rg==

IronBombom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by IronBombom » 18 Aug 2011, 03:47

Been sick, though am back. Thank you very much Hamza, I will see if I can remember where I put the usb and add the module. :)
* Had a good weekend?

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#10 by francois » 18 Aug 2011, 10:52

So finally, what did worked to solve your problem?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

IronBombom
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by IronBombom » 18 Aug 2011, 11:27

Very busy day, not much time to test. I get to desktop now but java is not working.
Also the cheatcode for logging in root account by default wont work either. But I use cheatcodes from the HDD test which are originally for slax, though I assume that most codes are the same. However, I will clear the cheatcodes of most things.
Porteus doesn't need Porteussave.zip to be safe? I use alwyas fresh setup to prevent destroying the boot section :p

Going home now. May get time tomorrow to check up
cheers, and thanks for all great support :)

* 30 - 08 - 2011 , I am very busy and overwhelmed with work. And will not be able to be here for a while. Once I get time I'll return. Cheers.
Q: Is it possible to compile a prteus with the old Slax 2.1.1 Kernel, or a newer version of it?
Q: Are 32 modules convertable into 64 modules, or would I need to find 64-bit cooresponding modules?
Not expecting the questions answered, as I could lurk for the answers, but. I've not got time right now, so thought maybe within time they would anyway :) Cheers again. poof

bredhedden1
Ronin
Ronin

Post#12 by bredhedden1 » 29 Jan 2012, 00:07

yeah sometime that happen but don't worry, try your best to test it out things.
bred hedden