No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
adryan_g78
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Post#1 by adryan_g78 » 03 Dec 2017, 19:17

Please help!
I downloaded Porteus, extracted from .iso file and, after running Porteus for Windows installation file I was asked to reboot. Unfortunately, I forgot to move some boot folders to root, so now I face the above message and the
boot:
command line and I can't get over it.
I can't start Windows to repair the mistakes I've made, I can't do anything. I don't know any Porteus command line that could help me, so please help!

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#2 by wread » 03 Dec 2017, 21:57

Welcome on board adryan_78!
First of all, Don't Panic B)
I downloaded Porteus, extracted from .iso
You extracted the iso into a USB?
Unfortunately, I forgot to move some boot folders to root,
You are not supposed to move anything!, Why? Pls be more specific...

What kind of windows machine are you using? A desktop? 64 bit? UEFI boot?
Did you burn the Porteus iso as image? very important!

We will for sure be able to help you!
Last edited by wread on 03 Dec 2017, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 03 Dec 2017, 22:18

@adryan have you tried pressing the F2 or F12 key when booting? Some machines have boot menu options for Recovery and System Maintenance.

BTW I agree with wread, the Porteus install doesn't require moving anything.
Ed

adryan_g78
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by adryan_g78 » 04 Dec 2017, 09:57

Hi!
I've downloaded the .iso file from here, as indicated on Porteus website: http://ftp.vim.org/ftp/os/Linux/distr/porteus/
The installation instructions said: "In order to install Porteus to a flash drive, you must first extract the porteus .iso file so that you can copy the included folders ('boot' and 'porteus') to your flash drive."
But I wanted it installed on the hard-drive, on a second partition, and dual-boot alongside Windows, so here I've made a huge mistake, because the instructions said: "Porteus can be installed to hard drives, but it should be left in its compressed state (otherwise known as a 'Frugal' installation). Installing extracted files to a hard drive is not supported".
However, I've extracted the .iso, I found the "Porteus-installer-for-Windows.exe" file and ran it. It asked me for a reboot, so I did, and now, as I said, I face this problem.
I have an old Acer, running Windows Xp 32 bit.
Pressing F12 opens the boot options, but I only have 4 options: booting from the hard-drive, which leads me to the same problem, from cd-dvd, which is broken and not working, floppy, which I don't have and network boot.
My real problem is that I don't know any possible line commands that would help me to bypass the "boot:" line and start Windows, so that I may repair what I did wrong.
I hope I was clear enough, an thanks for your help!

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Ed_P » 04 Dec 2017, 18:42

Ok adryan_g78 you are going to need a system that boots to fix this problem.

Two options that I can think of: 1. A bootable USB drive, if the XP machine has a USB port and the BIOS supports booting from it, 2. A USB hard drive case for the XP machine's hard drive.

In each case you need to be able to use a working machine. For number 1 to create a bootable USB drive, for number 2 to connect your XP's hard drive to. Then you need a utility that will repair the XP drive's MBR, something like MBRfix or some other free MBR fix utility. A Google search should list many of them. There's even some on bootable CDs so maybe that would be an option for you.

The objective is to get the XP machine to boot Windows again. Once that is achieved you can look into ways to make it multiboot. Grub2Win would do that and would support booting a Porteus ISO, without installing it.

Hope this helps.
Ed

adryan_g78
White ninja
White ninja

Post#6 by adryan_g78 » 04 Dec 2017, 19:44

I don't have the USB boot option in BIOS. Is there any command to insert after boot: prompt so that I can start Windows or, at least, to reach to an MS-Dos command line?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Ed_P » 04 Dec 2017, 21:51

The error you're getting is a linux error so if you get past it you're not going to see a Windows prompt or DOS. Look for a CD that has MBRfix on it, download it, burn it to a CD and boot your XP machine with it. Use the tools on the CD to fix your machine.

As to your boot: prompt you can try:

startx
mc
login
ctl+backspace
or a series of multi-key codes:
Alt+PrtScr+r
Alt+PrtScr+e
Alt+PrtScr+i
Alt+PrtScr+s

Maybe something will come up.
Ed

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#8 by Jack » 04 Dec 2017, 22:25

You can look at this. http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/iso.html You can pick which you need. I have use this before fdisk /mbr and it is on this file DOS6.22_bootdisk.iso. You will need a cd and a way to make it. Good luck...

Here is another link. http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/xphome.html

Here is Windows XP Home ISO file. https://softlay.net/operating-system/wi ... nload.html

One more. https://softlay.net/operating-system/wi ... nload.html
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

adryan_g78
White ninja
White ninja

Post#9 by adryan_g78 » 06 Dec 2017, 09:54

Thanks, guys, I will try and get back with more info.