How can I reset the guest account?

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Re: How can I reset the guest account?

Post#31 by wread » 27 May 2017, 03:34

Excellent Francois!

.. and you did not mention that some advanced users erase all the changes folder. When I start my machine and see a changes folder I ask always who has been tampering with my computer....

I save my changes and make a module of each change and put them in a folder named Settings inside modules. I name the changes modules according to the function they do: myDolphinSettings.xzm, myDeskTopSettings.xzm, myGoogleChromeSettings.xzm, my KeyBoardSettings.xzm, myKdeConnectSettings, myKPatitienceSettings.xzm, myLocalTineSettings.xzm, myMidnightCommanderSettings.xzm, myQtProjectSettings.xzm, myRCLocalSettings.xzm, myRemoteViewSettings.xzm, myVPNSettings.xzm and myWiFiSettings.xzm. That way it is very easy to maintain my settings.

These settings are system wide, as I run always in root and always fresh mode. I am not afraid of breaking the system. And if I did, I only need rebooting 8)

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#32 by Ed_P » 27 May 2017, 19:30

^ An interesting approach wread. But it requires one to know what things get changed when one makes a configuration change and how to make modules of those changes. And if it isn't obvious it requires learning and not everyone wants to do that. :)
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#33 by brokenman » 27 May 2017, 23:15

It would seem that all of the tools must already be in place -- all that should be required is modifying the Settings Centre appropriately.
Yes, it already exists in the settings centre. It's called "save session".
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#34 by wread » 28 May 2017, 21:05

@Ed_P
An interesting approach wread. But it requires one to know what things get changed when one makes a configuration change and how to make modules of those changes. And if it isn't obvious it requires learning and not everyone wants to do that. :)
No at all, It is very easy: in af mode, after every change type "changes-time" in a console and you will answer your question. Rename the folder /root/changesnnn to myMMMSetings and make a module of it. Place the new module in "modules" and reboot! And it starts quicker as having it in changes!

After a while you will know how to do it with minimalistic changes... 8)

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

rchase
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 5.0 rc3 xfce

Post#35 by rchase » 29 May 2017, 14:58

brokenman wrote:
It would seem that all of the tools must already be in place -- all that should be required is modifying the Settings Centre appropriately.
Yes, it already exists in the settings centre. It's called "save session".
I feel foolish; don't know what I was thinking -- saving over the /changes folder on the boot media accomplishes what I wanted. Mightn't this be made an explicit option though, e.g. by adding another radio button to the "Save session to folder" dialog labeled "Save session to boot media" which when checked fills in "Folder:" with "/mnt/[boot device]/porteus/changes"?

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#36 by francois » 31 May 2017, 03:30

As brokenman wrote:
it already exists in the settings centre. It's called "save session".
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.