Boot into Porteus, no longer can mount external USB drives

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
MalVeauX
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Porteus Cinnamon

Boot into Porteus, no longer can mount external USB drives

Post#1 by MalVeauX » 10 Apr 2017, 19:46

Hello,

I made a bootable USB flash drive with the latest release of Porteus on there (64bit). Boots fine on my system.

First time I booted up, worked fine. I didn't change anything hardware wise nor in BIOS or anything.

I mounted two external USB drives over my USB3 ports and they showed up fine. One is EXT4 and the other NTFS. I started copying files from the NTFS system to the EXT4 system on the other drive. Working great.

Then I walked away.

The screensaver had kicked on. The desktop was locked out. I couldn't unlock it. It just showed a clock and a background image and I couldn't do anything. I waited a while. Then I just reset the computer.

Now, when I boot from the USB stick (Always Fresh), again, with no changes to anything, I cannot mount ANY USB hard drives no matter what I do. Only the internal SATA drives will show up in file manager.

I even completely wiped the USB drive and re-installed Porteus onto it fresh. I boot it up and it works, but still cannot see or mount any USB drives like before.

No idea how this is possible to just work then not work and not have changed anything.

The drives mount and work fine in other OS environments afterwards by the way, so its not them.

Any ideas?

Very best,

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Boot into Porteus, no longer can mount external USB driv

Post#2 by Bogomips » 10 Apr 2017, 20:14

Welcome to Porteus. Open a terminal and do

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/porteus-livedbg
. Please post output (in a code block, if able).
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB