[SOLVED] Modules deactivate after every reboot

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
accio
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Slackware

[SOLVED] Modules deactivate after every reboot

Post#1 by accio » 17 Feb 2017, 11:07

I am using Porteus 4.9 KDE. I couldn't use any module which i downloaded after reboot. I have to activate again and again. i saved the session in porteus/porteussave/porteussave.dat and also modified the porteus.cfg file 0 :wall: :wall: :wall:

But I have the modules which i downloaded in tmp/usm and other files are restored.
Last edited by accio on 17 Feb 2017, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Re: Modules deactivate after every reboot

Post#2 by Blaze » 17 Feb 2017, 11:22

Hi accio.
Copy your xzm modules from /tmp/usm/ to /mnt/sdb1/porteus/modules
where sdb1 - it's porteus partition
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#3 by Bogomips » 17 Feb 2017, 11:33

Going by what Ed always claims: changes=EXIT:/porteussave/porteussave.dat should also include the /tmp folder, should one wish to save changes at end of session, and not continuously.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

accio
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by accio » 17 Feb 2017, 13:06

Bogomips wrote:Going by what Ed always claims: changes=EXIT:/porteussave/porteussave.dat should also include the /tmp folder, should one wish to save changes at end of session, and not continuously.
do you mean "changes=EXIT:/porteus/porteussave/porteussave.dat" because i have created a separate dir and I have multiple save sessions within in /porteus/.

accio
White ninja
White ninja

Re: [SOLVED] Modules deactivate after every reboot

Post#5 by accio » 17 Feb 2017, 13:34

Hi Blaze ,
Blaze wrote:Hi accio.
Copy your xzm modules from /tmp/usm/ to /mnt/sdb1/porteus/modules
where sdb1 - it's porteus partition
Fantastic! I was thinking the same. Works like charm :Yahoo!:

But how do I change the default download dir ? or do i have do it manually each time i download the modules ?
Last edited by accio on 17 Feb 2017, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#6 by Blaze » 17 Feb 2017, 14:04

accio, you could change download dir in USM, but don't do this, because all txz files of Slackware will be at the .../porteus/modules/ directory

I think that is better way for you >>> open terminal (as root) and run these commands:

Code: Select all

su
toor
cp /tmp/usm/*.xzm $PORTDIR/modules/
Cheers
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

accio
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by accio » 17 Feb 2017, 14:31

Blaze wrote:accio, you could change download dir in USM, but don't do this, because all txz files of Slackware will be at the .../porteus/modules/ directory

I think that is better way for you >>> open terminal (as root) and run these commands:

su
toor
Cheers
Thank you Blaze! :good:

But out of curiosity why we need to avoid .txz files in /porteus/modules ? (only to save memory ?)

accio
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by accio » 17 Feb 2017, 14:34

I wish this goes to admin report. If they fix this issue for Graphic mode it would be great or else newbies have to break their head :%) :lol:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#9 by Ed_P » 17 Feb 2017, 15:39

Bogomips wrote: changes=EXIT:/porteussave/porteussave.dat should also include the /tmp folder
The save.dat file does not save the /tmp folder. And is only used when working with non-.ext file systems.
accio wrote:But out of curiosity why we need to avoid .txz files in /porteus/modules ? (only to save memory ?)
Well the .txz files aren't modules and therefore won't activate when Porteus boots. If Porteus loads the non-.xzm files yes they will use memory and slow the booting process. How much of an impact depends on the number of files and how big they are.

Blaze's commands work and if saved as a script would be very easy to use. Personally I manually copy and paste my USM modules into my Modules folder using a GUI file manager. (a common approach Windows users use.) :oops:

BTW
Blaze wrote:open terminal (as root) and run these commands:

su
toor
If one opens "terminal (as root)" one doesn't need the su command. :oops:
Ed

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#10 by Bogomips » 18 Feb 2017, 19:03

Ed_P wrote:
Bogomips wrote: changes=EXIT:/porteussave/porteussave.dat should also include the /tmp folder
The save.dat file does not save the /tmp folder.
Quoted out of context. :x

Quote should have been:
Going by what Ed always claims: changes=EXIT:/porteussave/porteussave.dat should also include the /tmp folder, should one wish to save changes at end of session, and not continuously.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#11 by Ed_P » 18 Feb 2017, 21:05

Bogomips wrote:
Ed_P wrote:
The save.dat file does not save the /tmp folder.
Quoted out of context. :x

Quote should have been:
I have never claimed that the /tmp folder changes are saved.

That better?
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#12 by francois » 19 Feb 2017, 02:53

accio wrote:I wish this goes to admin report. If they fix this issue for Graphic mode it would be great or else newbies have to break their head :%) :lol:
It depends where your /porteus/modules folder is installed. Usb partition location could vary in term of the mounting point from a bootup to another bootup. This is not the case for a hdd install.

If your installation is in a fixed folder like for a hdd install or on ad designed usb key where the uuid has been specifically set for porteus in the bootloader as in (look for uuid in the thread:
viewtopic.php?t=946
you may change the destination folder for the builded modules in /etc/usm/usm.conf:

# Where packages will be downloaded to.
STORAGE=/tmp/usm
is replaced by:

STORAGE=/"path-to"/porteus/modules
- where "path-to" depends on your installation.

@Ed: no script involved here. :wink:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by Bogomips » 21 Feb 2017, 12:58

francois wrote:you may change the destination folder for the builded modules in /etc/usm/usm.conf:

STORAGE=/tmp/usm
is replaced by:

:roll:

Modules folder could get cluttered up with downloaded packages. I, for one, prefer to keep everything on a folder of my hdd. After all, these packages, as a whole, do not take up much space, and there is saving on bandwidth, when next time same package required for another module. The temporary storage can be redirected to any directory of choice:

STORAGE=/Path/to/<folder for usm downloads>

accio
White ninja
White ninja

Post#14 by accio » 22 Feb 2017, 09:23

Bogomips wrote:
francois wrote:you may change the destination folder for the builded modules in /etc/usm/usm.conf:

STORAGE=/tmp/usm
is replaced by:

:roll:

Modules folder could get cluttered up with downloaded packages. I, for one, prefer to keep everything on a folder of my hdd. After all, these packages, as a whole, do not take up much space, and there is saving on bandwidth, when next time same package required for another module. The temporary storage can be redirected to any directory of choice:

STORAGE=/Path/to/<folder for usm downloads> 
I am thinking to so this but I also don't want to make the boot heavy ( .txz files also included). I am afraid it will slow the speed. Anyway, I will give it a try!