Chrome hanging using heavier flash pages

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
svskibo
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.17.4-porteus

Chrome hanging using heavier flash pages

Post#1 by svskibo » 05 Jan 2017, 19:52

Hi all. I'm new here and am definitely not going to be able to contribute as a developer! I love Porteus a lot though. So handy. I have a couple of questions about getting things running a bit more flowingly though. Mainly a Chrome issue really. It does okay for a while but can't handle a lot of Flash on a page. It hangs for a while. Any thoughts? I'm on an older laptop but it's from this millenium. A Lenovo.

fred08155
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 xfce

Re: Chrome hanging using heavier flash pages

Post#2 by fred08155 » 05 Jan 2017, 23:40

What version of porteus are you running and what is your desktop environment?
What CPU do you have and how much main memory?

I also got some problems with some websites using massive javascript (ebay) or even worse flash content. Memory consumption raises very quick using chrome based browsers (few tabs open and - woops 1GB of main memory wasted) and CPU usage goes up to 100% permanent.

I tried porteus 3.2 with KDE desktop. It hangs a lot while browsing and uses a lot of memory. I guess i will drop back to xfce like i used with porteus 3.1.
I updated to porteus 3.2.2 KDE yesterday but still same issues with hanging browser. All tricks i tried did not work. I tried killing plugin container through special key combination and also Alt + SysRq + "r e i s u b" combination. But there is no response from system. Unable to start terminal for using killall command - no reaction when clicking on terminal icon. Only pressing power button helped out.

Recently i used arch linux based Aporteus with lxde desktop a lot. It works much better than slackware based porteus 3.2 with KDE.
I tried different browsers. Even chrome (chromium) works well.

My hardware setup is intel i7 L640M (dual core) @ 2,13GHz with 4GB main memory (HP elitebook 2540p).

I guess main issue is memory consumption. xfce and lxde have a very low footprint compared with KDE. KDE even consumes more memory than windows 7 does on this laptop.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Chrome hanging using heavier flash pages

Post#3 by Bogomips » 06 Jan 2017, 01:06

fred08155 wrote:I tried porteus 3.2 with KDE desktop. It hangs a lot while browsing and uses a lot of memory. I guess i will drop back to xfce like i used with porteus 3.1.
I updated to porteus 3.2.2 KDE yesterday but still same issues with hanging browser. All tricks i tried did not work. I tried killing plugin container through special key combination and also Alt + SysRq + "r e i s u b" combination. But there is no response from system. Unable to start terminal for using killall command - no reaction when clicking on terminal icon.
Can try Ctl+Alt+Bsp (<-), then get to log in again, but for some reason goes very quickly to 100% cpu. Only effective way seems to be Alt+SysRq+f or going to Console: Ctl+Alt+F1..F6. Am slowly getting the hang of this with KDE, especially tricky with embedded videos. Glad it's just not my m/c. :)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB