Undo / Unpair Magic Folders [solved]

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
igreka
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus 3

Undo / Unpair Magic Folders [solved]

Post#1 by igreka » 23 Dec 2016, 19:25

Hi Everyone,

I just created a very silly issue while playing around with magic folders. I am using:
Porteus-v3.1
Kernel: 3.17.4-porteus

I created a magic folder with my /home folder as source and the root of a very important HDD as target instead of a test folder on that hard drive like i intended to.

Result: The root of my HDD as all of the /home files and folders but worse, all my HDD files show up in my /home folder which is very unfortunate and dangerous since I can so easily delete or mess up important files accidentally.

So I need to know:
1. How to undo such a linkage / pairing.
2. How to make future magic folder creations unilateral as advertised in the Porteus Center. Changes to my source should show up in the target and not the other way around.

Thank you
Last edited by igreka on 23 Dec 2016, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Re: Undo / Unpair Magic Folders

Post#2 by Ed_P » 23 Dec 2016, 20:24

igreka wrote:So I need to know:
A fair question igreka so I went alooking. The answer seems to be:
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-general-info-tutorials/100-howto-create-and-use-magic-folders.html wrote: A configuration file will be generated in your rootcopy directory, at /porteus/rootcopy/etc/magic_folders. This file is a list of paired folders, and you can edit it directly (or go through the above process again) to create more magic folder pairings.
You'll have to wait for someone more knowledge than me to answer your other question.
Ed

igreka
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus 3

Re: Undo / Unpair Magic Folders [solved]

Post#3 by igreka » 23 Dec 2016, 20:36

Ed_P wrote:
igreka wrote:So I need to know:
A fair question igreka so I went alooking. The answer seems to be:
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/26-general-info-tutorials/100-howto-create-and-use-magic-folders.html wrote: A configuration file will be generated in your rootcopy directory, at /porteus/rootcopy/etc/magic_folders. This file is a list of paired folders, and you can edit it directly (or go through the above process again) to create more magic folder pairings.
You'll have to wait for someone more knowledge than me to answer your other question.
Thanks for this clarification, Ed_P. I went through that tutorial a couple of times in the last days. I'm amazed I missed that. :wall: Proving once again that one must calm down, read the f. manual before posting anything on a board. :good:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 23 Dec 2016, 22:33

igreka wrote:one must calm down, read the f. manual before posting anything on a board. :good:
Definitely not true. At least not here. :)
:D
Ed

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#5 by Bogomips » 24 Dec 2016, 01:51

igreka wrote:2. How to make future magic folder creations unilateral as advertised in the Porteus Center. Changes to my source should show up in the target and not the other way around.
Then you need to synchronise your /home folder with one on the HDD, Then every change made to /home will be reflected in folder of choice on HDD, and not vice-versa: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6225 :)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB