accidentaly installed porteus to my hard drive

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
bcuconato
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: porteus 3.2.2 XFCE

accidentaly installed porteus to my hard drive

Post#1 by bcuconato » 22 Nov 2016, 00:53

hello there,

I downloaded a custom porteus build to install on my windows tablet from my laptop. I was following the instructions for the install, mounted the .iso file, and transferred its contents to a flashcard. I then clicked on the Porteus-installer-for-Windows.exe... on my Downloads folder -- not on the flashcard. Now I'm afraid to reboot my laptop as I'm afraid I may have compromised my dual boot with windows 8 and xubuntu 16.04. How can I uninstall porteus from my hard drive?

thanks for the help!

PS: by the way, if anyone knows how to boot porteus from a flashcard (i.e., if I need some special cheatcode in the .cfg file), please let me know!

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: accidentaly installed porteus to my hard drive

Post#2 by Bogomips » 22 Nov 2016, 01:49

Welcome to Porteus. All that's needed to boot from your flashcard would be for you to install Porteus to it, this time ensuring that the install sets up the boot on the flash card, Thereafter just get the bios to boot from it. Myself don't have flash card, just usb stick, and that's how the boot from usb would go.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 22 Nov 2016, 05:08

bcuconato wrote:I'm afraid I may have compromised my dual boot with windows 8 and xubuntu 16.04.
hmmmm... An interesting situation.

How are you dual booting? Do you boot to Windows' boot manager with the option to boot Windows or xubuntu or do you boot to grub2 with the option to boot Windows or xubuntu? Or does your computer use UEFI and does the Porteus iso you installed support UEFI? Lastly what version of Porteus do you have?
Ed

bcuconato
White ninja
White ninja

Post#4 by bcuconato » 22 Nov 2016, 10:53

Bogomips wrote:Welcome to Porteus.
thank you! I think I'll like it!
Bogomips wrote: All that's needed to boot from your flashcard would be for you to install Porteus to it, this time ensuring that the install sets up the boot on the flash card, Thereafter just get the bios to boot from it. Myself don't have flash card, just usb stick, and that's how the boot from usb would go.
I did that, but it didn't work. :/ It wasn't even recognized by the tablet... the tablet is a 32-bit windows 10 w/ UEFI enabled, it has a x64 processor and 1GB RAM. I downloaded a 32-bit EFI enabled porteus build, by the way.

I also tried using a USB, so I think that the problem might be the EFI-enabled .iso, but as I newbie I'm probably wrong.

EDIT: when using Rufus to burn the .iso (in place of the installer), it says the .iso is not GPT supported, and the tablet has a GPT partition. is that a problem, considering that Porteus runs from the flashcard/USB?

bcuconato
White ninja
White ninja

Post#5 by bcuconato » 22 Nov 2016, 11:16

Ed_P wrote: How are you dual booting? Do you boot to Windows' boot manager with the option to boot Windows or xubuntu or do you boot to grub2 with the option to boot Windows or xubuntu? Or does your computer use UEFI and does the Porteus iso you installed support UEFI? Lastly what version of Porteus do you have?
sorry for the lack of information in my original post!

I'm using grub2 to dual boot! I use UEFI, and the 32-bit Porteus build (3.1 LxQT) was supposed to be EFI enabled, but apparently it isn't (see reply above).

I ended up turning off the pc because I could find no porteus files other than the ones in the mounted .iso, and the boot still seems to work, for win 8 and for Xubuntu. still, I'd love to uninstall it. would deleting the extracted .iso do the trick?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by Ed_P » 22 Nov 2016, 22:41

bcuconato wrote:would deleting the extracted .iso do the trick?
Possibly. In fact probably since you are able to boot grub2 still. Or keep the files and add Porteus to the grub2 menu and have it as a boot option. :wink:

As for booting it from your USB device this link should help: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4632&p=33638#p33604 To boot the device on a UEFI machine you need to disable the machine's EFI Secure Boot option. I've never used rufus so can't help you with that.
Ed

bcuconato
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by bcuconato » 23 Nov 2016, 00:21

Ed_P wrote: Possibly. In fact probably since you are able to boot grub2 still. Or keep the files and add Porteus to the grub2 menu and have it as a boot option.
As for booting it from your USB device this link should help: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=4632&p=33638#p33604 To boot the device on a UEFI machine you need to disable the machine's EFI Secure Boot option. I've never used rufus so can't help you with that.
Thanks for the response, Ed_P! can I do the copy-to-RAM thing when booting from the HD? if so, keeping Porteus and adding it to grub2 would be nice! I'm not sure I know how to do that, though. I'll try and report!

I do have the EFI secure boot off! I'm just afraid that although I can build a EFI-supported 32-bit Porteus, it doesn't actually support UEFI. that's the case for many distros, at least -- they only support 64-bit UEFI :/

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#8 by Bogomips » 23 Nov 2016, 01:27

bcuconato wrote: can I do the copy-to-RAM thing when booting from the HD?
AFAIK you can do it from anywhere. 8)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Ed_P » 23 Nov 2016, 05:23

bcuconato wrote:Thanks for the response, Ed_P! can I do the copy-to-RAM thing when booting from the HD? if so, keeping Porteus and adding it to grub2 would be nice! I'm not sure I know how to do that, though. I'll try and report!
Well I don't use copy2ram, I boot ISOs so basically everything is in RAM. This is part of a grub2 script I use for a different ISO, maybe you can tinker with it for 3.2.

Code: Select all

menuentry "Porteus LXQT ISO" --class slackware   --class icon-porteus  {
     echo Boot disk address is: $root
     echo Prefix is:            $prefix
     echo The boot mode is:     $grub2win_bootmode

set iso=/ISOs/Porteus-LXQT-v3.1-x86_64-nu.iso

search -f $iso --set=root
     echo ISO root is:          $root
     echo ISO is:               $iso
     if [ -f (hd0,1)/USB_INSTALLATION.txt ]; then
         set linux_drv=/mnt/sdb1/porteus3.1
     else
         set linux_drv=/mnt/sda5/porteus3.1
     fi
     echo Porteus extramods     $linux_drv
     set porteus_parms="extramod=$linux_drv/Modules;$linux_drv/modsavedat volume=33 reboot=cold"
     echo Porteus parms are:    $porteus_parms
     echo
     loopback loop $iso
     sleep -v -i 17

linux  (loop)/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=$iso $porteus_parms
     initrd (loop)/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
}
I do have the EFI secure boot off! I'm just afraid that although I can build a EFI-supported 32-bit Porteus, it doesn't actually support UEFI. that's the case for many distros, at least -- they only support 64-bit UEFI :/
ohhh a valid concern. Your Windows 8 machine is 32-bit!!

hmmm... You could download a 64-bit Porteus ISO, install it to the USB drive, then compare the contents of it's EFI folder with the contents of the 32-bit machine's EFI folder. Maybe some things in the 64-bit EFI/BOOT folder can be copied to the 32-bit machine's EFI folder and maybe the 32-bit machine's EFI/BOOT folder has some x32 files that can be added to it. ..... Am I guessing? Yup!! :)
Ed

jssouza
Legendary
Legendary
Distribution: Porteus x86 arm

Post#10 by jssouza » 23 Nov 2016, 07:12

What is your xubuntu architecture? 32 or 64bit?

I assume your grub comes from your xubuntu install? If yes, and xubuntu does not need secure boot turned off, porteus also need not have secure boot turned off if booted from that same grub.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#11 by Bogomips » 23 Nov 2016, 12:30

Ed_P wrote:Well I don't use copy2ram, I boot ISOs so basically everything is in RAM.
@Ed_P http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... 62a#p49986

bcuconato
White ninja
White ninja

Post#12 by bcuconato » 23 Nov 2016, 12:33

Ed_P wrote: Well I don't use copy2ram, I boot ISOs so basically everything is in RAM. This is part of a grub2 script I use for a different ISO, maybe you can tinker with it for 3.2.
thanks for the scrip, Ed_P! I was not aware that booting directly would make everything to RAM. I don't see the difference, then. is it that the booting normally from the .iso doesn't mandatorily store everything in RAM, while using the copy2ram thing everything is copied to RAM no matter what?
ohhh a valid concern. Your Windows 8 machine is 32-bit!!
Ed_P wrote: hmmm... You could download a 64-bit Porteus ISO, install it to the USB drive, then compare the contents of it's EFI folder with the contents of the 32-bit machine's EFI folder. Maybe some things in the 64-bit EFI/BOOT folder can be copied to the 32-bit machine's EFI folder and maybe the 32-bit machine's EFI/BOOT folder has some x32 files that can be added to it. ..... Am I guessing? Yup!! :)
that's what'll try, thank you! I don't have much hope, as I'm only beginning my journey in linux and this is a little over my head.

bcuconato
White ninja
White ninja

Post#13 by bcuconato » 23 Nov 2016, 12:39

jssouza wrote:What is your xubuntu architecture? 32 or 64bit?

I assume your grub comes from your xubuntu install? If yes, and xubuntu does not need secure boot turned off, porteus also need not have secure boot turned off if booted from that same grub.
it's 64-bit! please be aware that I ended up asking two questions, one about my main laptop with the dual boot win 8/xubuntu (64-bit), and the other one about my win 10 tablet. I accidentally installed porteus on my laptop while trying to make a bootable USB to install linux on my tablet, which is a 32-bit OS with a x64 processor.

I didn't know I didn't have to have secure boot off to boot them, I guess I just turned it off to increase my chances of getting it right? :P now I'm not sure I should enable it, for I'm afraid it might damage the grub2 bootloader. or is this nonsense?

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#14 by Bogomips » 23 Nov 2016, 12:43

bcuconato wrote:booting normally from the .iso doesn't mandatorily store everything in RAM, while using the copy2ram thing everything is copied to RAM
That will be the case if you do not use filters. As you are just starting your journey, do not wish to overload you with details. If you are of a persistent nature you will eventually win through. :x

bcuconato
White ninja
White ninja

Post#15 by bcuconato » 23 Nov 2016, 12:46

Bogomips wrote:
bcuconato wrote:booting normally from the .iso doesn't mandatorily store everything in RAM, while using the copy2ram thing everything is copied to RAM
That will be the case if you do not use filters. As you are just starting your journey, do not wish to overload you with details. If you are of a persistent nature you will eventually win through. :x
yeah, I read a little of the thread you sent and it might be a little to much! hahaha thank you!