Some questions about persistence folders

Post here if you are a new Porteus member and you're looking for some help.
fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: Porteus

Some questions about persistence folders

Post#1 by fulalas » 11 Nov 2016, 00:50

I'm using rootcopy folder to save my personal data but I struggling to find which folders keep some settings.

1- num lock on/off
2- I already set Opera to be the preferred browser on XFCE, but when I open it I see a message asking if I want to make Opera the default browser. Even copying the whole folder home/guest/.config/opera to rootcopy folder of my USB stick, when I reboot Porteus, Opera keeps asking me to make it the default browser (although to XFCE Opera still is the preferred browser).
3- the new releases of Opera use Gnome keyring to encrypt user's passwords. So when you first open Opera it asks you to create a password for the keyring. No problem so far. I even get which folder keeps this password. The next time you reboot Porteus and open Opera it asks for the password you created before, then you insert it and it opens without any flaws and won't ask you for this password no matter how many times you close and open Opera. The problem is when you reboot: it asks for the password you created.
4- if you try to load a xzm package you'll be asked to insert root password. In this dialog there's a checkbox 'Remember password' giving user the possibility to remember only to the current session. How to save this checkbox state?

Also, if I open Opera it's not maximized, then I maximize, close and finally open it -- without restarting Porteus. Oddly it opens not maximized. :(
Last edited by fulalas on 11 Nov 2016, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Some questions about persistence folders

Post#2 by Bogomips » 11 Nov 2016, 01:37

Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#3 by fulalas » 11 Nov 2016, 03:57

Thanks, Bogomips. I've managed to solve item 2 using your tip:

Code: Select all

sudo save-changes ch_a.xzm
# Do some processing to generate required changes
sudo save-changes ch_b.xzm
mkdir a b
sudo mount ch_a.xzm  a
sudo mount ch_b.xzm  b
diff  -qr  b  a
But I can't for the others (I also included item number 4 in the first post :D). Is there another solution?

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#4 by Ed_P » 11 Nov 2016, 16:48

fulalas wrote:4- if you try to load a xzm package you'll be asked to insert root password. In this dialog there's a checkbox 'Remember password' giving user the possibility to remember only to the current session. How to save this checkbox state?
If you boot as root and you won't need the password when activating a module.
Ed

tome
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: x64 Openbox

Post#5 by tome » 11 Nov 2016, 19:55

ad 1 - /etc/slim.conf or /etc/lxdm.conf
ad 2 - /home/guest/.config/xfce4/helpers.rc
ad 3 - I think you can set empty password for gnome keyring - disabled encryption
ad 4 - No plain solution, maybe something in /etc/group
ad 5 - the same story for google-chrome - set maximized size of window by drag and drop the corner
You have mind and feelings. Be wise and clever.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#6 by brokenman » 11 Nov 2016, 20:50

4. You could use sudo to have guest access the mount command or perhaps a polkit rule to allow anyone in the wheel group to bypass authentication.

EDIT:
I haven't tried this. Let me know if it works. The next version will have more support for people in wheel group.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#7 by fulalas » 12 Nov 2016, 23:24

tome wrote:ad 1 - /etc/slim.conf or /etc/lxdm.conf
I've only found slim.conf, and inside it I have this:

# Activate numlock when slim starts. Valid values: on|off
#numlock             on
Uncommenting the second #, copying the entire file to rootcopy with the right path, rebooting I got no num lock LED. But look what I found:

Create home/guest/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/keyboards.xml and put this inside it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<channel name="keyboards" version="1.0">
  <property name="Default" type="empty">
    <property name="Numlock" type="bool" value="true"/>
    <property name="RestoreNumlock" type="bool" value="true"/>
  </property>
</channel>
It indeed turns on num lock LED at reboot, but if you press CTRL or ALT or WIN then num lock LED turns off, although keyboard still responds as if numlock is on!
tome wrote:ad 2 - /home/guest/.config/xfce4/helpers.rc
It works. Thanks! :)
tome wrote:ad 3 - I think you can set empty password for gnome keyring - disabled encryption
Yeah, but Opera keeps asking for a new password each time I open it.
tome wrote:ad 4 - No plain solution, maybe something in /etc/group
:(
tome wrote:ad 5 - the same story for google-chrome - set maximized size of window by drag and drop the corner
Really odd! Thanks anyway :)

fulalas
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#8 by fulalas » 12 Nov 2016, 23:32

brokenman wrote:4. You could use sudo to have guest access the mount command or perhaps a polkit rule to allow anyone in the wheel group to bypass authentication.

EDIT:
I haven't tried this. Let me know if it works. The next version will have more support for people in wheel group.
I'm not quite sure if I understand what you mean, but I don't want to bypass the password dialog nor avoid mounting to be password check. I just want to save the checkbox state ('Remember for this section'), not the password itself.